45acp reloading, need pointers please.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I load the J&K 230gr RN (great bullet BTW) I use 3.6-3.8gr of Clays and OAL = 1.25. 3.8gr is giving me just over 800 ft/sec. I use titegroup on moly coated bullets, but I think you will find it to be too hot and smokey for uncoated lead. 4.0 to 4.8 would be the min/max for titegroup and a hardcast bullet. I load all my bullets to 1.25 in .45 with good results. The SWC is a great target bullet, nice big round holes.

Mechanicalmehem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Straight up, text/call Mitch he will give you all th info you need! I personally load his 200grn swc, use 4 grains of clays, with a COAL of 1.255... Great round for a 5" 1911....
---Mech

Ps, there isn't usually a range for the COAL most books will give you a specific length to shoot for...

Pps, I had a lOt of feeding issues untill Mitch turned me onto the lee factory crimp die... After that no trouble at all!

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Big +1 on dumping the roll crimp, save that for rifle rounds. I switched to the Lee taper crimp shortly after I started reloading due to all the issues a roll crimp caused on my pistol rounds. It eats a station, but is totally worth it.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I been wanting to get into reloading but reloading talk is like French and I don't want to buy a setup for fear that I would get ripped off bc I have no clue what the heck I'm buying.

I know I'm missing out on all the fun though.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you load .45 then reloading is an easy decision, money to be saved there. 9mm savings is not so much. I reload 9mm so I can shoot a load to my specs for matches.
Rifle is a real money saver, but a real PITA IMO. Triming cases is the first PITA. If you want a match grade load it makes more sense. Always take into consideration your time when figuring costs per round loading. It's a hobby to some so they don't mind the time.
All that being said, if you want to load 1 or 2 pistol rounds a Dillon Square Deal is a good choice. If you want to jump feet first into a progressive look at the Dillon 650 ($$) or the Hornady Lock and Load.
My few cents....

I been wanting to get into reloading but reloading talk is like French and I don't want to buy a setup for fear that I would get ripped off bc I have no clue what the heck I'm buying.

I know I'm missing out on all the fun though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom