6.4 powerstroke

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly, I'd stay away from the 6.4 for a multitude of reasons.
I sold a 6.0 earlier this year to move up to the newer body style and went with the 6.8 instead to avoid the 6.4 I'm not saying to buy a 6.8 and sure as heck not the 5.4 but unless you are prepared to delete ALL the emissions crap and still have the possibility of very expensive issues it's a very big gamble. I'd do a lot of research on it before you decide to buy one, look at things like service costs and the price of simple work. FYI pretty much anything beond an oil change requires the cab to come off the truck.
That being said, when they arnt being a pain they are a strong motor and can run like a raped ape.
As far as upgrades if you decide to buy it/one... Delete ALL emissions crap, EGR, DPF etc. Then a SCT with custom tunes, don't use canned tunes as they are junk. As far as tunes, unless you wanna spend $5000 replacing/rebuilding that 5R110 all the time then I'd avoid the higher HP tunes.

soonerbulldog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I certainly respect the warning you are giving but I feel that I've done a fair amount of research and given that I am wanting that newer body style I'm set on the 6.4. Dont want to spend the money on a 6.7. The 6.0 doesnt offer the dual climate zone < yes this is huge with my wife in the truck. Honestly, I'm only after a good reliable truck, not going to do much pulling and certainly wont do any hot rodding. I drive like a grandpa as it is. I will do all the necessary changes to the emissions to make it more efficient and last longer. I'll also tune it but not to be able to run a faster quarter mile. I want this to be the last truck I buy for at least another ten years.

Thanks.

Honestly, I'd stay away from the 6.4 for a multitude of reasons.
I sold a 6.0 earlier this year to move up to the newer body style and went with the 6.8 instead to avoid the 6.4 I'm not saying to buy a 6.8 and sure as heck not the 5.4 but unless you are prepared to delete ALL the emissions crap and still have the possibility of very expensive issues it's a very big gamble. I'd do a lot of research on it before you decide to buy one, look at things like service costs and the price of simple work. FYI pretty much anything beond an oil change requires the cab to come off the truck.
That being said, when they arnt being a pain they are a strong motor and can run like a raped ape.
As far as upgrades if you decide to buy it/one... Delete ALL emissions crap, EGR, DPF etc. Then a SCT with custom tunes, don't use canned tunes as they are junk. As far as tunes, unless you wanna spend $5000 replacing/rebuilding that 5R110 all the time then I'd avoid the higher HP tunes.

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you drive like a grandpa then you are doing good by picking the 6.4 instead of the 6.0 the vgt turbo requires you to drive it hard every now and then it it'll get clogged up.

smcgee10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMHO the 6.4 is a piece of crap. I have personally witnessed a Ford rep deny a warranty repair because, "There is too much water in the fuel." This lady stated the WIF light never came on. Recent fuel filter change (<5K miles). No history of WIF light in computer memory. He then stated "The WIF light will not come on if too much water gets on the sensor."

Wound up being a $14K repair for her (injectors, fuel lines, HP pump, filters). Got covered under her insurance. I think Ford was loosing their a$$ and trying to cut losses. 6.4's are hard and expensive to repair. Check out the EGT sensors. On the one that fails the most there is a concern with it binding and stripping out the threads. When this happens you either have to remove the cab or pull the trans to replace the exhaust pipe. 90% of engine repairs are recommended to be done with the cab off. I also feel the fuel system is not up to snuff. There are some things you can do to enhance reliability like the DPF delete, Air Dog lift pump, programming, ect... However, you run the risk of a $25K fine for disabling an emission control device. Plus if you sell the pickup later to someone that lives in an emission test state like Texas, they are screwed. But, if I had a 6.4, it is a modification I would look to have done.

If I had a choice, I would look at a 6.7 Ford very seriously. Good reports except from some of the early early models. I feel the extra money spent will actually be a savings in headaches, repair costs, and Tylenol.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Use only motorcraft filters if you decide to buy the 6.4. Do not use wix or fram ****.

Sure, I always avoid the cheaper filters, like the store brand or STP or Fram. Usually end up with the Puralator. But I keep reading the Wix line pretty good, at least the Gold line?

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I certainly respect the warning you are giving but I feel that I've done a fair amount of research and given that I am wanting that newer body style I'm set on the 6.4. Dont want to spend the money on a 6.7. The 6.0 doesnt offer the dual climate zone < yes this is huge with my wife in the truck. Honestly, I'm only after a good reliable truck, not going to do much pulling and certainly wont do any hot rodding. I drive like a grandpa as it is. I will do all the necessary changes to the emissions to make it more efficient and last longer. I'll also tune it but not to be able to run a faster quarter mile. I want this to be the last truck I buy for at least another ten years.

Thanks.

It is likely cheaper in the long run to buy the 6.7. The 6.4 was a mistake and ford knows it. That's why that engine didn't stick around for more than 2-3 years.

If you are not going to be towing then why would you want the added maintainince, fuel, and initial costs of a diesel? If your primary concern is reliability in a diesel then you should really look at the cummins. Or just get a decked out 1/2 ton and spend the leftover cash on wheels/tires etc.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMHO the 6.4 is a piece of crap. I have personally witnessed a Ford rep deny a warranty repair because, "There is too much water in the fuel." This lady stated the WIF light never came on. Recent fuel filter change (<5K miles). No history of WIF light in computer memory. He then stated "The WIF light will not come on if too much water gets on the sensor."

Wound up being a $14K repair for her (injectors, fuel lines, HP pump, filters). Got covered under her insurance. I think Ford was loosing their a$$ and trying to cut losses. 6.4's are hard and expensive to repair. Check out the EGT sensors. On the one that fails the most there is a concern with it binding and stripping out the threads. When this happens you either have to remove the cab or pull the trans to replace the exhaust pipe. 90% of engine repairs are recommended to be done with the cab off. I also feel the fuel system is not up to snuff. There are some things you can do to enhance reliability like the DPF delete, Air Dog lift pump, programming, ect... However, you run the risk of a $25K fine for disabling an emission control device. Plus if you sell the pickup later to someone that lives in an emission test state like Texas, they are screwed. But, if I had a 6.4, it is a modification I would look to have done.

If I had a choice, I would look at a 6.7 Ford very seriously. Good reports except from some of the early early models. I feel the extra money spent will actually be a savings in headaches, repair costs, and Tylenol.

^OP should listen to first hand experiences like this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom