1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

6.8 and the military?

Discussion in 'Firearms Chat' started by ok 22250, May 16, 2018.

1. ok 22250

ok 22250 Marksman

Anyone heard that the military may switch to the 6.8 ?

2. lasher

lasher Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    socom armorers developed the load and design, Remington screwed it up with a flawed drawing of the chamber dimensions. it failed the tests because of the flawed chamber, a couple of fellas saw the design misprint and made some barrels withe correct dimensions, that would be the 6.8SPC II, it would have passed the tests easily. i push 3000 fps out of a 16" barrel using a 90 grain gold dot, got 2700+ FPS out of a 110gr HPBT Hornady load. 300 yards in it is a DRT round, i call it the 270 short

dennishoddy likes this.
  3. GlockPride

GlockPride Sharpshooter

Last I saw the other day it was 6.5 creedmore was the latest they were looking at for new platforms.

dennishoddy likes this.
  4. Gunbuffer

Gunbuffer Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    love me some 6.8. made me turn away from the ar10 platform

5. SMS

SMS Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Not any time soon. The costs of re-configuring/replacing the current 5.56mm based small arms inventory (which they are currently spending a lot of money enhancing with product improvements), eliminating/replacing on hand ammunition and accessories, and retooling the manufacturing base to supply a new round means that the juice is going to have to be really worth the squeeze in order to justify the expense.

6. rc508pir

rc508pir Sharpshooter

Supporter
    6.8 didnt offer enough improvement at long range to justify a change in caliber plus there was the reduction of ammo in the magazines.

Recently in the last year, General Milley (Army Chief of Staff), wanted to get rid of 5.56 and switch back to 7.62x51. It got shot down by the rest of the Army.

THe Army has been looking at a future in-between cartridge. .264 USA, 6.5 Creedmore, and .260 Remington, are top of the list in testing. At this point no one knows anything whether one of those will be a replacement for 556 or 762 or both, or if at all.

Like SMS said. THe Army paid a S***LOAD of money for M855A1 and M80A1. They're not going away anytime soon. That's not even taking into account that NATO isn't going to take yet another new cartridge being forced down their throats.

If anything, the military will most likely adopt something like the Cased Telescoped Ammunition like is being tested with the LSAT machineguns and carbines being developed by Textron.

7. lasher

lasher Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    the military needs to decide if they are into target shooting or gunfights. every gunfight/ambush i am familiar with happened inside 50 yards

8. Gunbuffer

Gunbuffer Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Wow never realized you were a Vietnam tunnel rat

9. lasher

lasher Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    i wasn't a tunnel rat, but the 50, or less, yard range for gunfights was the norm, not the exception. the NVA were very good troops.

10. rc508pir

rc508pir Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Talk to the Marines about that one. They wanted to long range stuff