6mm Remington

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedavel

Marksman
Reaction score
I'm pretty new to reloading so I don't have much back story on older cartridges. I picked up some 6mm Remington dies (came with 30-06 dies I was after). Been digging around online for history/info on it. On paper it looks interesting. Anyone have any experience with it? If so, what's your opinions?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've got 2 of them. 7x57 mauser parent case compared to the .308 parent case for the .243. Remington introduced it in the 50's in a model 722 but Remington debuted it as the .244 Remington, but it had a slow twist, 1-12", and didn't handle the heavy bullets well. Remington canned the .244 and renamed it the 6mm, gave it a 1-9" twist and the rest is history.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
If it's somewhat obscure or uncommon, I've probably got one :) Really like shooting the Model 7 6mm that was my dad's it's short, weighs nothing, 18" barrel, made one year only in 1984 and likes just about everything that's been run through it. It was dad's Wyoming antelope, mule deer, prairie dog one gun go to rifle.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We bought my oldest son a little Remington 788 in 6mm for his 9th birthday...He will soon be 49 and so I guess we've had one for 40 years..It has always been one of my favorite rounds and often wonder why it didn't remain popular..I also have owned a 243 for I guess around 45 years and while they both are very close in ballistics the 6mm is still my favorite..and yes I also own the little 6mm Mohawk...It's just got to be one of my favorite rifles of all time..

Latest posts

Top Bottom