7.62x51 Which one to chose?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevencmt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got some money coming my way next week and I'm looking to get a new tactical rifle. I've got about $1200-1500 to spend and here are my choices.

DPMS LR-308 AP4 - Super bad, but it pretty much takes all the cash.

Saiga 308 - Convert it to pistol grip? Could get two rifles at this price.

Cetme - Good lookin, but I've heard some bad stuff. Same price as Saiga.

Romak 3 PSL - if I get the Saiga or Cetme I will buy this gun. I don't know I've just always wanted one.

Any other options I don't know about would be great.

So help me chose, What is the best option?

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope, nothin Romanian about a VEPR. Russian, RPK-based, stamped receivers (%50 thicker than reg. AK)...

I just listed it first 'cause I really want one. They can be found pretty reasonably priced, too.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=139171961

I think you'd find the CETME and similar rifles inferior to the FAL you had. I'm not a fan. Typical Century product...

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you eventually want an optic on it, get the DPMS and don't look back. Otherwise, get the Saiga. They're badass and I love mine in 12ga. Had one in 7.62X39 and it never failed either.

shootinpreacher48

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the cetme of old was horrible, but from what i understand Century is getting their act together, so it may be worth checking into. but the PTR 91 is also sweet and mags are cheap as well. and you can add a scope, rail and all the goodies later if you wanted to.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the cetme of old was horrible, but from what i understand Century is getting their act together, so it may be worth checking into. but the PTR 91 is also sweet and mags are cheap as well. and you can add a scope, rail and all the goodies later if you wanted to.

I would not buy one without inspecting it in person.

If you can, grab some feeler gauges and make sure they have the proper bolt gap (i.e.: safe headspace).

Latest posts

Top Bottom