72 year old ex cop arrested at the Golden state killer.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lets not turn this into a LEO bashing thread. Take it as a seriously deranged person.

More than 40 years after the so-called Golden State Killer began to terrorize Californians, raping dozens of women and killing at least 12, authorities announced Wednesday that they had arrested 72-year-old Joseph James DeAngelo in the case.

News of DeAngelo’s arrest marked a sudden development in what had been one of the most notorious unsolved crime sprees in US history, one that stretched over a decade and terrorized scores of people across California.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/na...ler-suspect/t9ZMlrBOjpQ6AixJBLNeJL/story.html

A time line of the killers criminal spree.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/a-timeline-of-the-golden-state-killer-crimes/ar-AAwkudu

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Police checked DNA evidence from the crime scenes against DNA profile sites like 23andme, ancestry, etc. to find matches based on relatives, then narrowed their search based on evidence.

Now I'm no tin foil hat guy, but did anyone really think the police/government wouldn't tap into those juicy DNA databases? Good job catching him and all, but....

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just remember: you don't need to submit a sample to come up as a potential hit in their database; you just need to have someone in your close family submit a sample.

Also remember that they're not doing forensic-grade testing, so the chance of false positives is much higher than a crime lab would have.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Police checked DNA evidence from the crime scenes against DNA profile sites like 23andme, ancestry, etc. to find matches based on relatives, then narrowed their search based on evidence.

Now I'm no tin foil hat guy, but did anyone really think the police/government wouldn't tap into those juicy DNA databases? Good job catching him and all, but....

I thought about that too when I saw it advertised on TV. Creative thinking to say the least. How did they go about it? Did they create an account and submit his DNA as their own and hope for a positive match and got one?

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought about that too when I saw it advertised on TV. Creative thinking to say the least. How did they go about it? Did they create an account and submit his DNA as their own and hope for a positive match and got one?
Honestly, I think this is the likely approach taken, which I take issue with from a legal stand point. I don't have any confirmation as to how they did it, so it's pure speculation on my part.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't say so. I feel like giving up your DNA is like posting your social security number online. It's a privacy and personal security matter. I don't buy into the "if you have nothing to hide" argument.

Latest posts

Top Bottom