87 Ford F250 XLT 7.5L - Starting issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0bserver

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My grandpa has a tower that won't start. He passed away last year and I'm trying to get it running so I can get it home to fix up for towing myself. Replaced the battery but the it won't start. I tested the starter relay with metal across the posts - it sparks but no crank or turn or click. Nothing at all.

He did have issues with it previously which I'm guessing may be associated with the fuel pump in the gas tank, but I'd like to resolve the starting issue first.

I'm trying to use the Chilton manual for this truck to work from but it's not easy to follow.

Any assistance would be much appreciated. I'm not well-versed in working on vehicles.

EDIT: I have a Haynes manual for this as well. Guessing I may need to bust the wrap to cross-reference for a better understanding.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My grandpa has a tower that won't start. He passed away last year and I'm trying to get it running so I can get it home to fix up for towing myself. Replaced the battery but the it won't start. I tested the starter relay with metal across the posts - it sparks but no crank or turn or click. Nothing at all.

He did have issues with it previously which I'm guessing may be associated with the fuel pump in the gas tank, but I'd like to resolve the starting issue first.

I'm trying to use the Chilton manual for this truck to work from but it's not easy to follow.

Any assistance would be much appreciated. I'm not well-versed in working on vehicles.

EDIT: I have a Haynes manual for this as well. Guessing I may need to bust the wrap to cross-reference for a better understanding.
Fords have a solenoid relay. Could be that. Could be the starter. If it is making a grinding sound it’s the starter. If it makes a clicking sound it’s the battery. If it just makes a click and nothing could be the solenoid relay. I’m no mechanic, so take everything I say, with a grain of salt. That said, I have wrenched on a bunch of kah kah and learn as I went.

0bserver

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Starter came back ok. Haven't checked the manual yet but I'm guessing the ICM needs to be checked next. Is that the typical next item to check in this instance?

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have the starter out, use jumper cables to test that it actually works. Then I'd check the solenoid that it actually works too. They key start position is the trigger. Have someone try to start it to be sure you're getting power to the other side. ECMs can go bad, but that's typically not the case. They usually have to get wet or super shocked to ruin them.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Watch the dash lights when you try to start it. Does everything go out with the key in the start position? If so, I’d still lean towards the starter being bad.

Latest posts

Top Bottom