870 fell apart

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would try to get in touch with someone on here that lives close and is familiar with 870 to run thru it with you. They are not difficult but it never hurts to speed up the learning curve. The bolt and rails are a little tricky to get back in but other than that it is pretty straight foward. Like they said that nut should be tight and there are tons of useful info on YouTube.

It isnt hard to get the bolt back in, you just have to grow a third arm and shrink your hand to that the size of a 3 year olds all while having the strength of a 25 year old farm boy! Actually you just have to have that strength if some jack wagon before you tried to force the bolt into place and you must now free it to do it right.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It isnt hard to get the bolt back in, you just have to grow a third arm and shrink your hand to that the size of a 3 year olds all while having the strength of a 25 year old farm boy! Actually you just have to have that strength if some jack wagon before you tried to force the bolt into place and you must now free it to do it right.

It's been a couple months since I have done it but last time I did it was dark out and I had about 4 kingfishers in me. It can't be that difficult.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's been a couple months since I have done it but last time I did it was dark out and I had about 4 kingfishers in me. It can't be that difficult.

I jest, but if you don't know what you are doing it truly is very difficult to figure out the first few times.

YakBasser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
870s are invincible it must be operator error

+1 on this. I saw a couple of guys shooting one at Wagoner one time. The barrel/tube nut came loose and when they fired it, the barrel fell off. The guy racked the slide back and all the Guts fell out on the ground. They were trying to put it all back together so I Fled :bolt:

Last edited:

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on this. I saw a couple of guys shooting one at Wagoner one time. The barrel/tube nut came loose and when they fired it, the barrel fell off. The guy racked the slide back and all the Guts fell out on the ground. They were trying to put it all back together so I Fled :bolt:

I've seen this issue with the barrel nut coming loose on several 870s. they all had one thing in common. The barrel did not have the detent ball and spring to hold the cap tight.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I've seen this issue with the barrel nut coming loose on several 870s. they all had one thing in common. The barrel did not have the detent ball and spring to hold the cap tight.
Holy crap. That would be a scary feeling. I think there would be a fine line between barrel falling off and round blowing up in you face.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have several 870's and have never had this problem. My guess, since no pics or having the gun to inspect, would be rough chamber, old / rusted cartridge or )heaven forbid) 3" shell in 2 3/4" chamber.

You say 'new' gun, what shells were you shooting? Barrel fell out 'AFTER' shooting and then loosening the barrel retention nut?

Find a knowledgeable person from here that is close or GO TO A GUNSMITH and get it inspected and some instruction, PLEASE.

Latest posts

Top Bottom