870 vs 590a1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
They are both decent shotguns. But, there is a reason the 870 has been around so long.
I would also give the edge on parts and accessories availabilty to the Remington. That could change some depending on how hard Mossberg markets the 590 and how well it is accepted by the shooting community long term.

Slack One

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
590A1 - Aluminum receiver saves weight, the control setup (safety, slide release) is generally better.

870 - Steel receiver for the long-long run, better parts availability.

Just handle both of them and see what feels better, as it's mostly a dead heat.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it's going to be used for home defense, and just the occasional trip to the range then honestly it won't make much of a difference which one you get.

Probably more important is choosing the configuration of the shotgun you want.

There are probably more after market parts for the 870, but the 590 will have more factory built options.

Things to think about are...

What sort of sights do I want?

What sort of stalk do I want on it?

What, if any, lighting accessories do I want on my shotgun?

What barrel length do I want?

How man rounds do I want to be able to hold?

What options are there for carrying additional shells on my gun?

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
it really is a toss up between the 2. my preference would probably be the 870. just a tried and true action has served in our armed forces for years but i know the mossy has been issued now as well. like the others said get em both side by side ans see which fits ya better.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Look at it thisaway...

The Mossberg 590 is like the Glock. It is sleeker, more tacticool looking, lighter in weight due to it's aluminum receiver and GTG right outta da box. It's a shotty that looks better slicked up in sythetic stocks and side saddles and such. It's controls are easier to find and easier to use. Newbies learn faster and are more proficient with a Mossberg.

The Remington 870 is like the 1911. A classic firearm and a solid performer, but kinda finicky and prone to jam up from time to time. It's been the "go to" scattergun for many a year, but it generally requires some add on accessories to make it more serviceable. Like the 1911, it looks more at home with wooden furniture and a leather sling over sythetic stocks and a nylon strap.

Latest posts

Top Bottom