Best Tactical Shotguns? Pump or Semi?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Worst sale decision I ever made was as a stupid 18 y/o I had bought a Winchester pump at Wanamaker for next to nothing. That guns action was so smooth it would almost half rack on the shot and you could run it just stupid fast and never short stroke it…that’s one of the only ones I regret selling.
I still have my late father’s Win Model 12 that was built in 1925. Has a 26” barrel with a very choke that was popular in the day. Very smooth action.

rjtmri

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an SDS S4 which is a Turkinelli clone. It works fine for me esp with slugs and buck. The cheap birdshot is kinda iffy, moot point for SD but worth mentioning. I also have a Mossy Magpul 590A1 as well, very nice gun but I prefer semi autos. I’ve thought about the A300 ultima patrol over the 1301 due to price. The Mav 88 security always goes bang and for around $200.

bigb159

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an SDS S4 which is a Turkinelli clone. It works fine for me esp with slugs and buck. The cheap birdshot is kinda iffy, moot point for SD but worth mentioning. I also have a Mossy Magpul 590A1 as well, very nice gun but I prefer semi autos. I’ve thought about the A300 ultima patrol over the 1301 due to price. The Mav 88 security always goes bang and for around $200.
Maverick will also let you barrel change, so if you decide to chase down turkeys instead of hoodlums, you have that option on the cheap.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Model 1300 > Benelli Nova > 870 > 590 > 500

Before anyone tries to convince me otherwise , I'll just say you probably haven't use a model 1300 Defender . Exponentially slicker cycling and faster than any of the above defensive pump guns by a country mile.

If its an a semi auto then I am all about the M1 Super 90 and Beretta 1301. I still own a Model 1187 police though and its runs fine for me .

Last edited:

Big Bad Wolf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have used an old wood stocked Mossberg 590 and wasn’t super impressed with it. Really got into shotguns with Remington 870s with owning several ‘flavors’ from a police model that has 20” barrel with Surefire forend and Magpul stock to a SBS from Wilson Combat. Have total do five 870s. Recently added a Beretta 1301 and did the upgrade on stock and forend to Magpul. Added Surefire light also as it was bought by my wife for me. It’s a serious tossup on which I like better between my 20” 870 or the 1301. I think to stick with your price point, get you an 870 and change out the stocks to your preferred fit and get a light from Surefire or my personal preference Streamlight. They are about 1/2 the cost and less issue if you have to contact them.

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if u can do plenty of practice and training a semi auto is the way to go,,if thats not the case,and or your shot gun is going to see a lot of outdoors heavy use,, and it MUST be reliable then a pump is it..mossy 500/590 or a 870..cheaper to buy and money left over for ammo,,gun is not worth much without ammo,,i bet in the coming years ammo will go up and be scarce.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I may know someone who really likes the 1301. I grew up as an 870 guy and may have one or two of those as well, but man, the 1301 for as light as it is and the BLINK gas system is terrific. Now, you aren’t getting one for $1k, but if you stretch a little, you’re there. The A300 Patrol is new, around $900, and may be good. Just not enough feedback on it yet.
I don’t think you could go wrong with an 870PM or M590A1. You just have to train, train, train in order to rack the slide without short stroking it.
That being said, a shotgun is down the list for defensive firearms for us.

Pretty much sums it up for me.

Highly recommend taking a shotgun class to the OP.

Latest posts

Top Bottom