Best Tactical Shotguns? Pump or Semi?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErichS

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking to purchase a tactical shotgun soon. I am considering the Mossberg Flex 590. Wanting something that holds at least 6. Looking to stay under $1000. Please list your tac shotgun setups and reviews of them.

Thanks in Advance

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to purchase a tactical shotgun soon. I am considering the Mossberg Flex 590. Wanting something that holds at least 6. Looking to stay under $1000. Please list your tac shotgun setups and reviews of them.

Thanks in Advance
With the Mossberg, I wouldn't go with a pistol grip because of how the safety is mounted. I would go with either a oem stock or the magpul stock

Genesis

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Id stretch the budget a bit and get the new beretta. Its like 1200. I have a benelli m4, im not a big shotgun guy, but i wanted a few to have, so i bought that and an older 870 police.

Under a grand would probably have me looking pump, as im not entirely sure id trust a semi that cheap

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d look at the Beretta a300 Ultima Patrol for that price point. You can find them for just under 1K on gunbroker. I’d definitely check out some YouTube reviews. I just bought a Benelli M4. I was also looking at the Beretta 1301, but decided I’d stick with the ultra reliable M4.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pump: I've carried and used Rem 870 and Mossberg 590 shotguns. Personally, I liked the 870 better. If I was looking for a pump gun, I'd get an 870P (Police model) because they're a little more robust with all metal vs plastic parts...like trigger guards and such. Buy a used one for the best value. But, I do like the safety placement on the Mossberg better.

Semi-Auto: The only real "tactical" semi-autos I've ever owned and shot extensively are a Beretta 1201FP (discontinued long ago) and a Rem 11-87 Police (which I still have). That Beretta was far and away the fastest semi-auto I've ever shot (but admittedly, that's not a long list). The Remington is kind of a dinosaur in the minds of some but when used with full-power ammo it's been 100% reliable for me. It's heavy and heavy duty and has excellent ghost-ring sights that really work well for me. The weight absorbs a LOT of the recoil. I don't think you're going to get into a Beretta or Benelli for the $1k budget you're looking at.

Latest posts

Top Bottom