9mm lead

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Up til now, I've resisted reloading 9mm because it was about as cheap to buy. Since the shortage that has changed. I don't shoot a lot of 9 mm but if I reloaded it I would probably shoot more. I have a little Dillon Square Deal B that up until now as been dedicated to loading 38/357. I'm going to add 9mm. My question to you guys is this. What kind of luck have you had with lead round nose bullets? Any leading? Is it worth the extra $ to go to plated or jacketed bullets? If you load lead, what powder have you had the best luck with? I know people are hesitant to post specific loads. I'm not asking anyone to do that. Just powder recommendations for lead bullets. I'm not planning anything faster than 1000 fps. Thanks, Jack

Incrediblerod

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've loaded lots of 9mm lead using Bullseye with great success.
I don't notice much leading but I clean my guns after each outing.
I have tried plated bullets but prefer lead. They are more accurate in my opinion.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have used unique since early the early 90's. No problem, large flake so easy see and hard to overcharge (practically impossible) and cheap.

acp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the leading problems would be a type of lead you use issue. I use almost nothing but J&K 125gr Round nose lead bullets. IMHO you can't beat them. For powder I use Winchester 231. I mainly shoot a S&W 3913 and have no problems at all. In fact the loads I worked up for my pistol with lead RN bullets are far more accurate than with say Winchester white box ammo or similar. The other issue with reloading for 9mm is that you can still do it when you can't find factory ammo.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
all my pistols get lead and my 30-30 winchester.
No leading issues...BUT i have played with hardness and bullet size and bullet speed.

When I use pure soft lead i will get leading no matter the size or lube used. this is over 650fps.
I have not tried slower.
a 50/50 mix of wheel weights and soft lead work great all the way to 950 fps..in my 45acp.
and that is more accurate than pure water dropped wheel weights...

The 30-30 and 357 get pure wheel weight lead...900+-1400 fps from 357
and 1800-1900+ fps from 30-30...
I like shooting and casting lead...

RustyW

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use lead in 3 9mm's, a SR9c, a Highpoint carbine, & a Browning Hi power clone. I cast my own from a Mihec mold, water dropped wheel weights and size to .358, lube w/commercial red. I've used several powders from Bullseye to HS6, I've found IMR 4756 to work best for me. No leading & good accuracy.

thefenux

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless your gun has traditional rifling, you'll probably have to try a few different combinations to see what it likes. I'm still searching for a lead load that doesn't keyhole out of my Glock 19. Personally, I've had really good luck with plated bullets.

Latest posts

Top Bottom