9mm Load Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just loaded 200 147gr J&K bullets using titegroup at 2.6grains of powder. The Lyman manual says: 2.5 - 2.8 for this bullet with Titegroup.

So, I take them to the range today and not one will eject properly. The load is SO weak that it won't cycle either of my 9mm pistols. One is a M&P Pro with an Olyeller trigger job and he also changed out the ejector spring or extractor spring.. not sure which it is.

The other gun is a stock M&P 9c. Both guns cycle on 125 gr. J&K's with 3.4 grs of Titegroup although I do have an occasional FTE with this ammo too. They cycle fine with my Hornady defensive ammo and with stock factory ammo.

So.. is the book wrong on this load?

I am getting ready to do a bunch more 125 and will bump the load up to the maximum 3.8. I also bought some Universal Clays and it isn't listed in this manual for a 125gr lead bullet, so I need some load info on using that.

Thanks for the help as always!

B

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Look up loads in other books.

I have found some books seem to always (or at least usually) seem to be low. I had the same problem when loading using HS6 under 124gr 9mm bullets in my Glock. The load I was using was enough low that it jammed somewhere around half the time. In fact, that book's max load was below the starting load of another book I had.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bump it up to 2.8 or a little over. I recently loaded 147J&Ks over 2.8gr of TG and had 1 fail to eject out of 100. 2.8gr is still anemic, but its just enough to cycle my HK USP.

Another tip, that you may already know, is make a mag's worth of a starting load then a mags worth of a little higher, so on and so forth (but just dont go too high). And test them until you get clean cycling. Once you get to the batch that cycles clean. Take your "written down" load data and transfer to your "successful loads" log.

I started small batching all my test loads with a small workups and documenting and my reloading has been very successful and satisfying since.

For example: the 147s/2.8TG came about from 3 batches.

16 rnds of 147/2.6TG
16 rnds of 147/2.8TG
16 rnds of 147/3TG

I found the 2.8 and 3 cycled reliably (save for the 1 round w/ 2.8gr). I went with my lighter load, but my final entry into my log book was 3.0gr as my "SUCCESS" load with a note that 2.8 will cycle reliably.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know that 2.5 of Titegroup won't even come close to making USPSA minor power factor out of another members M&P 9 with that very bullet. It clocked around 111 PF if IIRC. So the Lyman manual is extremely light on that particular load. I don't know why. I believe he bumped it to 3.1. What is a little odd, is that mousefart load ran his gun 100%. :scratch:

You might check the Enos forum for some Clays data. I've seen some folks like it alot. Handloads.com is a good bet too.

I run Winchester WST with the J&K 147 in a 9Pro and love it. I know a couple of other guys on here that run it too, one of which is a recent convert from Titegroup and PowerPistol. :blush:

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was told that the one manual I MUST own is the Lymans. So.. i bought that and I trusted it. I was stupid to load up so much without testing it. The truth is, I did do a small batch and thought I had the OAL too long, so i shortened it a bit. The problem was the powder load was way lite. I thought it was odd that they recommended 2.6-2.8 for th 146 and 3.2-3.6 for the 125 JKs.

I don't have any more 147s and am not going to buy them. I do have 1000 125's to load which fired great at 3.4 grs of titegroup. I just need to find load data for the Universal Clays.

THanks all!

B

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was told that the one manual I MUST own is the Lymans. So.. i bought that and I trusted it. I was stupid to load up so much without testing it. The truth is, I did do a small batch and thought I had the OAL too long, so i shortened it a bit. The problem was the powder load was way lite. I thought it was odd that they recommended 2.6-2.8 for th 146 and 3.2-3.6 for the 125 JKs.

I don't have any more 147s and am not going to buy them. I do have 1000 125's to load which fired great at 3.4 grs of titegroup. I just need to find load data for the Universal Clays.

THanks all!

B

regular lyman book or cast bullet handbook??

Wizard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 4 or 5 different load books that I check when starting a new load. Some of them are way different for some reason but I just get online and see what other ppl are using for a certian powder and then compair that to my book and start from there with a range of powder grs under the bullets and write down my findings and go witht he best cycling and most accurate load as my prefered working load in my load data log.

I to use the J&K 147s but I currently shoot HS6 powder out of a M&P 9pro

Latest posts

Top Bottom