9mm Load Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look up loads in other books.

I have found some books seem to always (or at least usually) seem to be low. I had the same problem when loading using HS6 under 124gr 9mm bullets in my Glock. The load I was using was enough low that it jammed somewhere around half the time. In fact, that book's max load was below the starting load of another book I had.

yes sir ee bob

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I suspect your OAL is not 1.058 as listed in the Lymans manual. The 2.5-2.8 Titegroup works with their listed OAL. I am loading Our 147gr. 9mm with 3.3-3.4gr of Titegroup right now WITH AN OAL OF 1.1". EVERY part of the load data is critical as it all works in relation to each other. Crimp is also very critical. You want just enough crimp to take the flairing out of the case and still keep the bullet from setting back during chambering.

I just loaded 200 147gr J&K bullets using titegroup at 2.6grains of powder. The Lyman manual says: 2.5 - 2.8 for this bullet with Titegroup.

So, I take them to the range today and not one will eject properly. The load is SO weak that it won't cycle either of my 9mm pistols. One is a M&P Pro with an Olyeller trigger job and he also changed out the ejector spring or extractor spring.. not sure which it is.

The other gun is a stock M&P 9c. Both guns cycle on 125 gr. J&K's with 3.4 grs of Titegroup although I do have an occasional FTE with this ammo too. They cycle fine with my Hornady defensive ammo and with stock factory ammo.

So.. is the book wrong on this load?

I am getting ready to do a bunch more 125 and will bump the load up to the maximum 3.8. I also bought some Universal Clays and it isn't listed in this manual for a 125gr lead bullet, so I need some load info on using that.

Thanks for the help as always!

B

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mitch - thanks. I was told that the OAL in the Lyman manual for the 9mm was all wrong. I've been loading them around 1.13-1.15.

Please tell me the load of titegroup and the OAL you would use for you 125 gr. bullet? Also, the same info for universal clays and that same bullet.

Thanks man.
B

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mitch - thanks. I was told that the OAL in the Lyman manual for the 9mm was all wrong. I've been loading them around 1.13-1.15.

Please tell me the load of titegroup and the OAL you would use for you 125 gr. bullet? Also, the same info for universal clays and that same bullet.

Thanks man.
B

Blutch have you chamber checked your loads at that OAL? In my 9Pro the J&K 147's are touching the rifling at 1.135. It's a bad thing that can cause a nasty pressure spike and it can keep the slide from going fully into battery (lockup) which is even potentially worse. They just clear at 1.13 in my barrel, so I load them to 1.11".

To check them remove the barrel from your gun and drop a round into the chamber. Then spin it while it is fully inserted. It should spin FREELY. You can feel the rifling contacting the bullet. It will feel "catchy" if it's touching the rifling. You can also color the bullet with a black magic marker and look for marks on it. Adjust your seating die until it just spins freely, measure the length and adjust it in about .020" deeper. The only thing that should stop the round in your chamber is the case mouth seating on the shoulder in your chamber. This is critical for proper lockup.

Try to determine the length that it contacts in your barrel and seat them at least .020" deeper. This directly applies to the bullets ogive and will be different for every bullet you load. For Instance the 125 grain J&K doesn't hit my rifling at 1.15" which is a longer OAL than I load the 147's.

You are on the right track seating them as long as possible as accuracy is theoretically better. But you absolutely have to have some room for the bullet to "get going" before it contacts the rifling.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just loaded 200 147gr J&K bullets using titegroup at 2.6grains of powder. The Lyman manual says: 2.5 - 2.8 for this bullet with Titegroup.

So, I take them to the range today and not one will eject properly. The load is SO weak that it won't cycle either of my 9mm pistols. One is a M&P Pro with an Olyeller trigger job and he also changed out the ejector spring or extractor spring.. not sure which it is.

The other gun is a stock M&P 9c. Both guns cycle on 125 gr. J&K's with 3.4 grs of Titegroup although I do have an occasional FTE with this ammo too. They cycle fine with my Hornady defensive ammo and with stock factory ammo.

So.. is the book wrong on this load?

I am getting ready to do a bunch more 125 and will bump the load up to the maximum 3.8. I also bought some Universal Clays and it isn't listed in this manual for a 125gr lead bullet, so I need some load info on using that.

Thanks for the help as always!

B

Is the J&K bullet cast or jacketed? I use 3.4 gr. Titegroup with a 147 gr. FMJ. Check the Hodgdon website for data on Titegroup.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If anyone finds a Clay's starting point please post it. I am getting ready to switch back to 9mm on my press and have 1K of the J&K 147's to pump out. I plan to try Titegroup, plain Clays, and Solo 1000. Then head to the range and chrono/accuracy test them all out of my G17, probably using a Lone Wolf barrel.

Mitch are you sure you are using 3.4gr of Titegroup on your 147's? That's what I use for a 147gr FMJ and I believe Russ was using 2.5gr on his 147 load. If so that sucker has got to be leaving a contrail out of your gun :D

EDIT: OK found some Clay's load data.
2.9gr of Clays behind a 147gr cast lead flat point bullet out of my 9mm 1911 "consistently" leaves the muzzle at 900fps.

2.7gr Clays avg 870fps

2.4gr Clays avg 820fps

Latest posts

Top Bottom