A light question for the bicycle riders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would like to get some sort of high output light to occasionally mount on a wheelchair for night time use, don't really want to run over any copper heads or Sasquatches. I would prefer something bright, running on rechargeable or even alkaline batteries and that is easily installed and removed. I don't really care if it's halogen or LED as long as it lasts a couple hours at a time. Can you point me to any products to consider or any bike shops in Oklahoma City to go look at them?
Thanks

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Generally speaking, anything that a bike shop sells, or that is labeled for cyclists, is going to be more expensive than something similar that isn't labeled as such.

Lots of mountain bikers like magic shine lights (usually from geomangear). They had a big battery recall recently, so i don't know if they've recovered from it in terms of merchandise and online orders, but i know a few bikers who use them and they are pretty bright.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I second the magic shine. I have seen them on several wheelchairs. Or if an electric wheelchair you could go the Bounder route and mount an aircraft landing light under the seat.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
what you want to do is post this question on Candlepower forums.
they will be up on the latest and greatest.... sooooo much has happened in LED developments.

highly recommend checking into single cell Lithium-on flashlights... latest Cree LED is XML, which puts out 700 lumen with a single cell 18650 li-on. C size li-on cells has HUGE capacity.

the output king still remains HID lights... got two HID bike lights...Niterider HID Storm gets 3+ hours runtime. Arc HID gets 6+ hours runtimes (8x 18650 li-ion battery pack)

main drawback to HID bike lights is costs... kinda pricey ... new gen LED li-ion lights with good runtimes and output can be put together for low $$$. then use a two fish block to mount.

cheapest setup with be a chinese single cell 18650 with XLM cree LED. $25 + 2x 18650 ($25) + a pila li-ion charger ($50) = $100

Dealextreme is a dirt cheap/reliable Chinese oversea online store (been ordering from them for 5+ years)... all their merchandise includes shipping. some are junk, some are fairly high quality. you do need feedback from folks at candlepower forums before ordering. http://www.dealextreme.com/c/18650-cree-flashlights-940

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v186_o0pss_hid20lights.jpg

I would like to get some sort of high output light to occasionally mount on a wheelchair for night time use, don't really want to run over any copper heads or Sasquatches. I would prefer something bright, running on rechargeable or even alkaline batteries and that is easily installed and removed. I don't really care if it's halogen or LED as long as it lasts a couple hours at a time. Can you point me to any products to consider or any bike shops in Oklahoma City to go look at them?
Thanks

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom