a little rant about H&H...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Merlin72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Almost every time I go to the reloading counter I have an issue of this sort. Either the sales person is talking to somebody about non gun related BS for ever or I have to hunt someone down to come help me over there. When I am drooling over guns I usually have 2 or 3 people ask me if I need help and when I'm drooling long enough sometimes the same salesperson twice.

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wasn't there and can only speculate.

The guy before you might have just spent big$ on a procuct, or maybe did the day before.
The reason I go to gun shops is to have a one on one with some body that can help me with a problem or sell me something I might need.

Again I wasn't there to hear the conversation.

My opinion, If the counter person is engaged, they should give the customer they are talking to, a notice they need to help someone else, and get another counter person to help the other guy.

Again I wasn't there and cannot judge.

I don't know the back story or either of the people, in front or behind the counter, or how well they knew each other. I only know that they were reminiscing about military days and aircraft and then motorcycles. The only thing I ever heard the "customer" ask relating to anything was about a pistol and rifle class. and that was well after John and I were engaged in our dealings.
The "customer" didn't have anything but a notepad and a book or magazine in his hand when he left.
Honestly, I don't give a good godd*#m if he just ordered everything on the left side of the store. I don't like to stand and wait for 30 minutes on anything but a BIGASS payday.
The dude should have done something, said something, SOMETHING. that's my whole point.
I love going to H&H. We're in there at least twice a week shooting. I buy things here and there from them and I chose to spend my money with them rather than ordering straight from Dillon.
I'm not really a BS'er. So I ask questions and hope to get answers and like to go and try out the possible solution. I don't want to sit a wax philosophical about the benefits and rewards of this or the dangers of that when I'm at a store. Some people are and, hey, that's cool, but it's not me.
if someone had noticed or that guy had done his job and requested some help (if he was truly busy), then this would all be moot.

CODE_3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The last time I was there I was told to take down target because it had a face on it. I was using an old CLEET target and I even told the guy that I was an LEO. Well, that was about 10 years ago and I have never been back.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sorry, we try to make sure we take care of everyone to the best we can, if you have a issue we would like to know so we can fix it, we do not take it lightly when one of our team members is rude, or condescending to anyone, we have fired people for this very thing! Gun stores already have a bad rap about them and we try very hard to set the bar high so when newbie people walk in they are blown away with the firearm world!! :laugh6: We are trying to change the way many non gun folks look at gun people!! Even though we do sometimes not meet the standards that we should at all times!!

Seems like you have some consistently rude and unethical salesmen that never get addressed. Here's my last three attempts to buy at H&H:

First time I had told the salesmen I was wanting to purchase a specific pistol. Out of nowhere he responded "You can't shoot hollow points through it, what you want is this one. Ball ammo only". This was obviously a crock, so I purchased elsewhere.

Second, while looking at holsters for my pistol that I did not buy from H&H. The salesman approached me, and I reluctantly asked if any there were any lined holsters in stock as I wanted to prevent finish wear as much as possible. He gave me a nasty look and replied "It's just a tool" and walked away, and I again purchased elsewhere.

Third, I had taken my wife to get a feel of some pistols. She fell in love with one and was ready to make the purchase, only to have the salesmen say "You don't want that one. It's very inaccurate. Most people shooting it on the range don't even hit the paper. This one over here is a better fit for you". She was disheartened by this response and once again I purchased elsewhere.

I've not purchased anything since. I buy a lot, but not from H&H anymore. Three very easy sales that were lost due to a rude/unethical salesman.

Kiyot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had something similar happen, but it was at OAS. I was standing at the front counter behind some guy at the LE counter that had come in because he had a new sight put on his gun. I was standing there quietly with my daughter and was obviously waiting to be waited on behind this guy for about 10 minutes. As soon as they finished up and the customer walked away to leave, the employee turned and left the counter before I could even take a step up to the counter. I waited a couple minutes because I honestly figured maybe he had to go return something. Finally had to go over to the cashier and ask for help and of course this same guy walked up. I just said forget it and walked out and have never been back, that was maybe 4 years ago.

At H&H though I've never had an issue with the sales side except maybe at the gunsmith counter. But atleast they were busy doing work related things and not sure if they had even seen me. The range counter can be kinda be short sometimes but I honestly chalk that up to dealing with the idiots with possible loaded guns on a day to day basis. And I could understand where Dennishoddy is coming from on bsing with a big buyer after the fact, but atleast you need to acknowledge the other guy especially if he has been standing there as Jeff had said he had been. Good to see someone atleast come in and apologize and try to get it straightened out.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would never buy a firearm or any accessory from H&H due to their prices (that's what OSA and members like 10.5stang are for) but I do buy some of their reloading supplies. For example, powder and bullets...better than Bass Pro and paying hazardous shipping fees. I've always had good service from the older gentlemen that work that section. They seem to have a half way decent knowledge of their products and are never busy when I go in there. However, outside powder and bullets, they are very limited on what I need. I went in looking for 6.5 Grendel brass, a Dillon Rapid Trim, Dillon scale and a Hornady Lock n Load Progressive Press and they didn't have anything. So take it for what it's worth...if you want to buy powder without paying the hazardous shipping fee or you need bullets and don't want to wait for tem to be shipped, then H&H is the place to go. If you want anything outside the VERY basic, you will need to order online.

tm8634

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the LEAST he could do is tell you they will be with you in a little bit or page another employee to help you, i dont care if the guy before you bought the damn store your a customer that "hasnt spent any money yet" this employee needs some PR skills PERIOD...

justakid

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had something similar happen, but it was at OAS. I was standing at the front counter behind some guy at the LE counter that had come in because he had a new sight put on his gun. I was standing there quietly with my daughter and was obviously waiting to be waited on behind this guy for about 10 minutes. As soon as they finished up and the customer walked away to leave, the employee turned and left the counter before I could even take a step up to the counter. I waited a couple minutes because I honestly figured maybe he had to go return something. Finally had to go over to the cashier and ask for help and of course this same guy walked up. I just said forget it and walked out and have never been back, that was maybe 4 years ago.

At H&H though I've never had an issue with the sales side except maybe at the gunsmith counter. But atleast they were busy doing work related things and not sure if they had even seen me. The range counter can be kinda be short sometimes but I honestly chalk that up to dealing with the idiots with possible loaded guns on a day to day basis. And I could understand where Dennishoddy is coming from on bsing with a big buyer after the fact, but atleast you need to acknowledge the other guy especially if he has been standing there as Jeff had said he had been. Good to see someone atleast come in and apologize and try to get it straightened out.

That is the hardest thing for some of our guys to do, when it only takes a few words such as "I will be with you in a min" something!!!

In this case, i have sent the department manager an e-mail telling him one of our guest has a complaint about his department, hopefully we will get this fixed, There is nothing more the ticks me off when nobody asks me if i need help or anything!!! Home Depot in Edmond, used to be really good, now you are lucky to even get a real person to check you out!!!!

We are not perfect by any means, but we try really hard to give good customer service to everyone! Sometimes we fail, however if we do get a complaint we take care of it right away! The biggest thing is when someone has a bad time in our store, 9 times out of 10 they do not let anyone know at the range what happened so we can take care of it!!!

justakid

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
the LEAST he could do is tell you they will be with you in a little bit or page another employee to help you, i dont care if the guy before you bought the damn store your a customer that "hasnt spent any money yet" this employee needs some PR skills PERIOD...

agreed!

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Jeff. Frustrating. I have never had this happen at H and H. However, I have had it happen at another spot. I got pissed and confronted the guy. He was shocked and basically apoligized because he thought I was just there to listed to their BS story. Uh. NO! WTF?

No idea whether it is the case but maybe they were so enthralled with their storytelling practice session that they thought you were a new student in teh same class? :flamed:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom