New Watch Rebuild – Stunning 70's Seiko Bullhead – Dual Register Chronograph – OSA Owned – Tons Of Pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love these threads. I’d never have the patience to do that kind of work. I’m more of a sledge hammer and anvil guy. If you told me I was going to die if I couldn’t reassemble that watch, I’d be dead.

However, I absolutely LOVE seeing older things restored and running again. It grips me deep down and I really respect the work and craftsmanship it takes to conduct these tasks. Glad one of our own is up to the task!

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need to buy a ring flash. We need to bust out my macro lense then take some pics of these watch internals.
I have actually been trying to read up on that. A co-worker of mine does a lot of streaming, and macro-photography. I've been picking his brain about some of the hardware involved. After one of our conversations he actually made a short video using his equipment taking the back off of a watch and to look inside. It turned out really well. He made me an Amazon shopping list of what he'd recommend, but some of the items weren't necessarily cheap. I'm considering it, but I'd have to redesign my workspace to accommodate the lighting and camera setup. As you can see from some of the microscope photographs in my earlier posts, I've tried a few different lighting techniques with what simple equipment I have. I just wish I could get the photos to look as good as my view from the microscope eyepiece. Everything is brightly lit and crystal clear. It's simply just going to take better equipment than what I currently have to accomplish that. My workbench I use for watches isn't all that large either, so some things will have to be rearranged as well.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I know a guy who might buy another watch or 2 to help fund the photography equipment. I sold an Olympus camera with macro lens a while back that would have been perfect for it.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know a guy who might buy another watch or 2 to help fund the photography equipment. I sold an Olympus camera with macro lens a while back that would have been perfect for it.
I'm way out of my field on this camera stuff. I have been reading through the specs on the shopping list that was created for me, but I really don't understand a lot of it. My one issue with the camera they suggested is that the screen on the back does not appear to be able to flip around so you can few it from the front side. If I have a camera faced towards the work, the screen would not be viewable. I'd like to find something where I can view what's going on to make sure the item is in view, etc. and to take quick photos. I just don't want to arbitrarily buy everything on this list and not know how to work any of it. I'm prepared to put down a reasonable amount of money on good equipment, I just don't know what I'm buying. I just want to know how to set it up to take good photos, press a button, and call it a day, lol. Maybe it's just not that simple.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If anyone knows anything about photography and has an idea on what would be a good fit, I'd really appreciate it if you could take a look at the items on this Amazon list. There are a few different options for tripods and lighting, but the camera hardware is really what I'd like some guidance with.

https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/1FSIUFR8UH6UI?ref_=wl_share
The video my co-worker made did not have super close up macro shots, but sort of the same type of pics that I posted in the earlier part of this thread where you can see the entire movement, with video at about the same distances. I don't know if the hardware in this list is capable of getting in real close. I'd like to get in as close as reasonably possible, that way the pictures can see some of the detail items I see through my microscope like balance shock setting and jewel lubrication inspections, pallet fork engagement, etc.

Last edited:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If anyone knows anything about photography and has an idea on what would be a good fit, I'd really appreciate it if you could take a look at the items on this Amazon list. There are a few different options for tripods and lighting, but the camera hardware is really what I'd like some guidance with.

https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/1FSIUFR8UH6UI?ref_=wl_share
The video my co-worker made did not have super close up macro shots, but sort of the same type of pics that I posted in the earlier part of this thread where you can see the entire movement, with video at about the same distances. I don't know if the hardware in this list is capable of getting in real close. I'd like to get in as close as reasonably possible, that way the pictures can see some of the detail items I see through my microscope like balance shock setting and jewel lubrication inspections, pallet fork engagement, etc.

With regards to the photography, what you might want to do is go check out macro lenses for whatever camera you choose to buy. Perhaps, you might even go to Bedford Camera on May Avenue in OKC to see what they can offer. If you might want used equipment, check out Baker Photo and Video in Yukon on U.S. Highway 66.

Among your Amazon list, you mentioned the Canon 18-200 lens as part of your list. I consider such a lens as a "walk-around" lens in that it allows one to get either wide angle (18mm) for landscape or zooming in to get subjects closer (up to 200mm.) I'm not convinced that the 18-200mm will let you focus close enough for the detailed shots. Also, such lenses may require you to keep the camera further back from the subject so that it can focus on what you are wanting photographed.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With regards to the photography, what you might want to do is go check out macro lenses for whatever camera you choose to buy. Perhaps, you might even go to Bedford Camera on May Avenue in OKC to see what they can offer. If you might want used equipment, check out Baker Photo and Video in Yukon on U.S. Highway 66.

Among your Amazon list, you mentioned the Canon 18-200 lens as part of your list. I consider such a lens as a "walk-around" lens in that it allows one to get either wide angle (18mm) for landscape or zooming in to get subjects closer (up to 200mm.) I'm not convinced that the 18-200mm will let you focus close enough for the detailed shots. Also, such lenses may require you to keep the camera further back from the subject so that it can focus on what you are wanting photographed.
This! This is why I seek advice! Thanks Terry!

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score

Good info here. Also I have had excellent luck buying used equipment on Fred Miranda web site. The last macro set up I had was an Olympus EM1 Mk II with 60 mm macro lens. Ring light or a light box would work well for your stuff. One of my ex hobbies that I went all in and then sold for next to nothing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom