A sad time in my life

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How about finding some local help, in the area, maybe a older person from a church needing part time help,ask a minister, a stay at home mom looking for a few extra dollars, a LPN ...someone to stop by five days a week or so, take care ..basic food ...help out...you checking in weekends.

My prayers are with you and your parents.
We have considered this but it's complicated and he really needs 24 hour care. He is giving up and hasnt ate or drank water since Sat. when we drove him to visit his 88 YO sister who still is sharp as a tack and lives alone. We suspect he's had another small stroke. I dont think he'll last much longer. We r taking him to the ER today and if they cant put him in a rehab to get him eating and moving, we'll go to a Home next. He doesnt get up from his chair all day other than to use the bathroom and he uses a walker because of his weakness. He almost cant get up from a chair.
This is just rearranging the furniture on the Titanic.

Last edited:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry to hear Clay. I'm setting up a computer to office out of my mom's sunroom right now. I'm hoping that I can avert doing this with her and my step dad. Mom can't drive because of macular degeneration but is in otherwise not too bad of shape. Step dad is another matter. He is in heart failure and has hallucinations occasionally because his blood oxygen is low and he doesn't use his oxygen or cpap. He ain't gonna change either. Time will tell, but I'm hoping we don't have to go down this road with him.
Dad has congestive heart failure also. Hes a tough of codger though. He was in a boys home in Bethany when he was 17 with rheumatic fever and he was there for a year. It destroyed his heart valves and they told him he wouldnt live to be 21...he's had heart valve replacement done 3 times. If he makes it till Aug 29, he'll be 85

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Dang it Clay, sorry to hear this. Just put the MIL in assisted living. Got her on Medicaid too. It’s been a long haul,almost a year. Prayers for you and the rest of the family.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the average life expectancy in a Nursing home is 2.5 years. I think he'll be on the low end of that average.
When he spent 6 weeks in the hospital because of a bad brain bleed last year, I was hoping he would pass away peacefully in his sleep rather than have to go to a Home.
This last year he's had no quality of life.

Last edited:

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My deepest empathy Clay. I've already watched the decline and death of my parents and it always sucks. I hope you find some peace and whatever you do, don't be stubborn about accepting some assistance and support. It really does make a difference.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hell of of deal Clay. Went through it with my Momma. She stayed with us til the end. I'll be thinking of you during this trying time in your life.

Latest posts

Top Bottom