About to buy a tactical bolt gun, suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROON

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go to academy and buy a Cheap .308 700 adl. Then borrow my action wrench and barrel vise. Pull the barrel and send the action off to get trued. Buy a short chambered barrel from sears. Borrow my gauges and chamber reamer and install the new barrel. Get a AI floor plate and mag from who ever. Get the stock of your choice and send the trigger to any competent smith to get worked over. Sell the old stock and barrel on ebay for 200 bucks. Then have a bad ass gun for under 1000.00

Kinetics

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 5R's are guns built for the armed forces that got rejected for reasons that do not affect function.
Just thought i would point out that this was a myth started by some online writer... early 5r's were Rock barrels but i think Remington is making their own now. all brand new no blems or anything. I recently bought me a .308 5r 20" and i love it. Its more accurate than i am. that being said i'm still going to replace the trigger and stock as soon as i can. the factory stuff is okay but far from the best.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just thought i would point out that this was a myth started by some online writer... early 5r's were Rock barrels but i think Remington is making their own now. all brand new no blems or anything. I recently bought me a .308 5r 20" and i love it. Its more accurate than i am. that being said i'm still going to replace the trigger and stock as soon as i can. the factory stuff is okay but far from the best.

I agree. The 5R Mil-Spec is the civilian version of the Model 700 they sell to the military. As close as you can get to the military rifle. Then if you want to modify, add, subtract, whatever, you can do so. Mine is sub-1/2MOA out of the box. I need to get better glass on it but that will have to wait a while. Check out the 5R MilSpec, you will like it.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree. The 5R Mil-Spec is the civilian version of the Model 700 they sell to the military. As close as you can get to the military rifle. Then if you want to modify, add, subtract, whatever, you can do so. Mine is sub-1/2MOA out of the box. I need to get better glass on it but that will have to wait a while. Check out the 5R MilSpec, you will like it.

I think that started on Sniper Central - supposedly a Remington LE employee told one of SC's writers that the barrels are M-24 take-offs because they didn't meet some spec, but that's the only source I've actually read that story (and it's apparently been rebutted numerous times by Remington Employees).

I think the confusion is that Mike Rock is probably most famous for 5R rifling and Rock 5R Hammer Forged SS Barrels are used for the M-24 rifles and Remington also uses Rock barrels for their 5R Mil-spec. I don't know that the M-24 was always an SS barrel - I could have sworn at one time that it was Carbon Steel, but according to the LE/Mil section of Remington's Website it's SS Hammer Forged Mike Rock 5R now. As I always understood it, the only thing "Mil Spec" about the 5R is the type of rifling (canted 5R Button Rifling with a 11.25 Twist Rate) and the fact that the barrel manufacturer is the same (Mike Rock).

Also, the 5R is short-action where as the M24 is Long-Action regardless of caliber.

Latest posts

Top Bottom