AC. Do I have this right?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I turn on the central AC, blows cold and wiggles curtains. After several hours the curtains don't wiggle and NO water is coming out the drain pipe.
That means it's low on freon and freezing the A-coil right. Filter is new and had ducts cleaned

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OH man ... What a day to have THAT happen. That would be my guess, too, but that is Grumpy's department. I bet one of these other guys can give you more detailed advice than I can.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not necessarily. Could be the compressor is not cycling off and freezing. Were you located? I have a good friend whose son is in the business and sharp. He does all our work.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had to clean out my condensation drain several times from spiders making nests inside the pipe. I duct tape a shop vac to the drain line and turn her on. Fixed the problem every time. Hasn’t happened in this house but it certainly could. And when it does I’ll know because I have those shut off sensors on this system. (Didn’t on my last house)

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty much what the others have said. I just went through this with the mobile home on our property the same day our family friends were coming into town to stay in it two weeks ago. Was blowing cold then would freeze up with just very little airflow and not cold. Had neighbor (commercial Mechanical Contractor) come over to check. Was low on freon stuff and he recharged. Worked fine but when he was wrapping up he found a tiny hole in the A-coil with a "sniffer". Still blew cold but over time he said it would run down over weeks or months. Decided to have him replace the A-coil rather than repair. Was about $1500 for parts, labor and coolant.

Latest posts

Top Bottom