Accidental discharge.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneck1861

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thank you for the kind words everyone, yall are being nicer than most people when they find out what happened, and yes I did learn, that no matter how safe you think you are with firearms, you should never get to comfortable, I learned that the hard way

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never become complacent. That was an expensive lesson learned. Not in the form of money, but potential permanent damage to the hand. I wish you the best of luck in your recovery.

waltham41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Glad you are doing better....

When I was 13 or so, my stepbrother handed me a .22 semi auto rifle in the house. I asked him if it was unloaded, he said yes.

I pointed it up at the ceiling, pulled the trigger and it wasnt.

Talk about a fast patch job on that tiny hole before the old man got home.

I have been very fortunate since then, and got off with an easy lesson.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi redneck1861,

Good on you for posting about your ND. I hope you continue to recover and get full use of your hand.

I too had a ND about 7 years ago. I was "testing" a trigger and went to reset it but thought I hadn't pulled the slide back far enough to chamber a round. Yes, I knew there were bullets in the mag. It was a stupid moment of not thinking and that is all it takes. I was lucky, I had followed the rule about pointing in a safe direction and the bullet did no damage to anything important. It could have been much worse, but I learned an important lesson and got a helping of hurt pride that day:

I used to think I was so careful and safe that a ND could never happen to me, but that was a big mistake and I became complacent. My new thinking is that "A ND could happen to me at anytime if I let my guard down".

Other things I've also changed:

I keep a gun loaded only if it needs to be loaded.
I keep loaded guns IN a holster that covers the trigger.
I don't remove them from that holster unless I have a good reason, and if I do, they get unloaded immediately.
I stay away from the trigger unless I have a good reason not to, and if I need to do something with the trigger, I unload and verify unloaded again and again.

Take care,

Alan

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My daughter is a nurse at the Mercy Heart ER, used to work at Mercy ER. She moved up there from the Idabel, OK ER after a divorce. At Idabel they saw everything, and on a regular basis. She worked at Mercy ER three years before a gunshot victim came in, and she was the only nurse there that had ever treated gunshots. It wasn't a bad one, just a .22 in the knee from a negligent discharge.

Anyway, in your case I hope there was some more nursing experience with gunshots since my daughter moved to the Heart ER.

Best wishes on the recovery of your hand.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hope you heal soon.

I keep several loaded revolvers around the house and office so I am always extremely careful, but know you can never be careful enough.

Latest posts

Top Bottom