Acreage wishlist - What would you want/do you have that is a must?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filbert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to agree with @filbert ; county road access. The headaches from dealing with neighbors over shared privately maintained roads is a major problem. If you must be on a private road, at least be the closest one to the County maintained road.

Live water will thin the choices dramatically. Also, if you are on live water, be on the inside of the curve of the river. The outside of the curve means the river will eat your land every flood. I've seen many, many acres just disappear to the water (look up Twin Lakes, south of Crescent and west of Guthrie).
Ditto

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man I'd love to have some land. Ideally 80+ acres, but if I could manage 10-20 I'd be much happier.

Unfortunately, it's just not going to happen anytime soon. Gonna be... I don't know, years. Right now, seems like never. :(

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dang. Thanks for the great replies. Lots of good info. I figured Dennis would, as always, come through with some fantastic advise. So thank you, fellas.

Been on OSA for a long time and I assumed most knew but will answer some of the questions/statements. My Inlaws are alive and well living in Sapulpa. Our goal is to be as close to them to be able to take care of them as the years progress. It is also long past time to get the hell out of socal. There is a 50/50 chance our son will be going to OSU so being in OK is a big bonus. With all that and most likely me transferring my job to the Tulsa area we would want to end up somewhere in central/eastern Creek County.

Being on a county road is great advice. It has crossed my mind but that's about it. Easements do seem like a giant PITA. I'll have to keep this in mind. We do have some nice leads on some potential land in the Mounds area that is a lot of acreage but couldn't really act on it until we make the move. Luckily the landowner doesn't have much desire to sell at this time. We are going to walk the property next time we are in town. Unfortunately I think it may fall just inside the city limits. My Inlaws are also very good friends with a well known former OK politician who seems to know a metric chit tonne of people and will be a great resource to help us find and purchase land.

Keep the advise coming as I really appreciate it.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you find a place, visit the OSU Agricultural Extension Office in that county before you buy. Oklahoma has extension offices in all 77 counties.

They will have aerial photos, soil maps, and floodplain info for any property you're interested in. Services are free, though if you want copies of aerial photos there may be a fee.

Pay attention to the soil maps. You don't want 6 inches of soil (or less!) on top of solid rock. Been there... we bought our home place when I was 18, and they had to blast out a hole for our septic tank with dynamite. :D

I wouldn't recommend blackland (clay) soil either, unless you're a serious farmer/rancher. It will grow most anything, but your feet can weigh 5lbs each when it's muddy , and that gets old after a while. We had 228 acres of it in the '90s, and lived there a couple years. As one old farmer told me, "It can be too wet to plow at sunrise, and too dry to plow by noon." Septic systems are also a nightmare, because it holds water like a bathtub. You'll want to have a "perc test" done in any case, no matter the soil type.

This site will help you locate the Ag office in any county.
https://extension.okstate.edu/county/

Happy land hunting!. :drunk2:

Last edited:

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It may have already been mentioned, but see if you can find a source of information as to how deep water is for your well.
Good idea. :thumb:

I'm not sure if there is statewide info on aquifer depth or not (the extension office would know), but you can certainly check with neighboring land owners that have wells.

While a neighbor's results may not match yours 100% (water depth can vary within a fairly short distance), it would certainly beat no info at all.
:drunk2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom