Ada Range day 1/28/17

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've wondered about this. It would seem, with enough practice, that a center fire pistol could be shot just as accurately as a rimfire pistol. For most of us mere mortals, that much practice is hard to achieve. In rifles, I have sold most of my center fire rifles since my .22s shoot rings around the CF's I had.
The only centerfire pistols that will keep up with .22RF are open guns with brakes to reduce the recoil and the slide impulse.
Getting back on target after recoil, or staying on target during the shot, resulting in a faster follow up shot is what those that shoot speed shooting try to achieve.
I have a volquartsen brake on my Ruger Mark III Hunter. It basically is there to add weight to the muzzle, and counteract the slide impulse that caused barrel rise between shots. Looking through the red dot, I never get off the bull when pulling the trigger as fast as I can.
Brakes on AR's accomplish the same thing. They can be made to shoot just as fast as a .22 rifle, keeping the gun on target between trigger pulls.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only centerfire pistols that will keep up with .22RF are open guns with brakes to reduce the recoil and the slide impulse.
Getting back on target after recoil, or staying on target during the shot, resulting in a faster follow up shot is what those that shoot speed shooting try to achieve.
I have a volquartsen brake on my Ruger Mark III Hunter. It basically is there to add weight to the muzzle, and counteract the slide impulse that caused barrel rise between shots. Looking through the red dot, I never get off the bull when pulling the trigger as fast as I can.
Brakes on AR's accomplish the same thing. They can be made to shoot just as fast as a .22 rifle, keeping the gun on target between trigger pulls.
What kind of break do you use on your AR?

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of people seem to shoot better with a .22 pistol. Is this an issue with ammo quality, inherent accuracy of the pistol(s), or a training (or lack of same) issue? Thoughts, anyone?

I dunno, I think I shoot my Ruger MK IV better, but then again, maybe I actually shoot my Ruger SR1911 LW 9mm better...depends on the day to some extent. I'm by no means a bullseye shooter; old eyes have a hard time picking up that front sight so well anymore anyway.

But, hey, nice targets OP, thanks for posting.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Jerry Miculek brake at my friends house somewhere. Its very effective.
I'll have to look it up. I'm using a cheap Midway break. The Ar don't have that big of recoil, but after watching the youtube vid on the BH Rolling Thunder, I gotta have one. It would be nice to have little movement when zeroing or using my red dot.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis, I wasn't thinking about speed shooting. I just wonder if the .22 pistol is inherently easier to shoot well than a center fire pistol. Perhaps it has something to do with the unconscious realization that the .22 lacks recoil, which would allow the shooter to relax more. I have quit shooting center fire rifles from the bench because none of them have displayed accuracy close to what my least expensive .22 rifle is capable of achieving. It is not just lack of recoil that makes shooting the .22 so much more enjoyable, there is also the lack of muzzle blast. Perhaps we unconsciously brace ourselves for the recoil and muzzle blast to the detriment of accuracy? I don't know, which is why I'm asking these questions.

Latest posts

Top Bottom