Adding organic material to the lawn

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It ain't fast, it's a multi-year deal, but using milorganite fertilizer will create a bumper crop of earthworms which will aerate and putting some organic top dressing as has been mentioned each year will eventually work its way into the soil and create a good bed. It takes time but you can grow about anything after a few years of that practice.
In the country, a bumper crop of worms, invites a bumper crop of moles, armadillo's, and possums that turn the lawn into a cratered moon scape almost overnight.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought an Agri fab aerator from Lowe’s a few years ago and am pretty happy with it so far. I usually do it in the spring each year and seems to help quite a bit. It’s a tow behind so it doesn’t work quite as good as the ones you can rent from Home Depot etc.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there something I can add to my Bermuda lawn to help compacted clay areas.

I’m thinking about spreading compost, but wondering if there is something else to use?
gypsum will help break up clay. i suggest that you take soil samples of the whole yard and send them in then add according to the analysis.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
gypsum will help break up clay. i suggest that you take soil samples of the whole yard and send them in then add according to the analysis.
This is the way to go to break up the clay along with a soil sample. You will need to pay attention to clay, silt, sand percentage best for bermuda grass. Nutrients and Organic matter also. It takes a little time to get right.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I suggest you send your sol sample to MidWest Labs in Omaha. You will get your test results back in 5 business days. In addition, you will find out what soil deficiencies that your yard has. ALL yards and fields have deficiencies. PM me and I will be able to advise you better as what to do.

Latest posts

Top Bottom