If a GURL wanted to learn mechanic-ing ... 🤷🤷🤷

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For breaking lug nuts loose, Harbor Freight Hercules cordless impact works great. I still carry a 4 way in all my vehicles, but the impact is in whichever one I’m driving.

Like others have said, u tube has a world of information that’s easily accessible. My youngest son learned how to make concrete counter tops by watching u tube videos and made all the counter tops and the bar that are in our barn house. :thumb:

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where would she start?? Nothing too fancy -- routine maintenance, how to change the oil, how to use a code reader, etc. I already know how to check the tire pressure and change one. (Too bad I cannot break a nut off -- @Glock 'em down I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂 -- to save my soul. Hopefully PT can help me with that.)

Anyhoooo ...

And while I'm at it's what about small engine repair like lawn mowers, weed eaters, **** like that?? Is it a lot different??
I'll second the vo-tech answer. Lots of very good classes that teach basic maintenance .other than that first choice would be vehicles factory repair manual. But the real WANT TO'S. Is better than anything. Watching over someone's shoulder and asking questions is how most of us learn.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son and his buddies went to the votech out towards elreno when they were in school in mustang ok.
I suggest to pass on that Votech.
I had my son and a couple of his friends over here while I was working on cars one day and one of his friends said he learned more from me in 1 day than the entire time at the school.

Hanging out with a mechanic that knows what's going on is a great way to learn stuff.
My friends grand daughter had a junker given to her.
Crashed car with a hole in the oil pan and I had her under the car taking off the starter and pan.

I welded up the pan and had her put it back together with assistance of course.
She has many other things go wrong with her vehicles but she can diagnose and fix things herself now.

She got a job at Oreilly auto parts and worked her way up.
She just recently bought a front hub assembly for her Saturn Vue that she is going to replace when it warms up a bit.

Hands on helps.

If you get a busted vehicle that needs to go somewhere for repair.. send a message to some mechanics you know that may come over and help you fix the issue and let you get your hands dirty.

Yes you tube is great also.
When I was young I learned by reading books and magazines and hanging out with mechanics.

Front end alignment is another thing you can do in your driveway.
Mount your own tires on the rims.
Fix leaky tires.
Of course oil and filter changes. etc etc etc.

Lawn mowers are pretty simple and a good place to begin.
I have only seen a couple people that just can't learn how to do things but i think it is too much pot and just lazy.
Like they can't retain information.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow @THAT Gurl , coming in with the most controversial topic ever!
If you describe something or someone as controversial, you mean that they are the subject of intense public argument, disagreement, or disapproval.

I do not see controversy here.

Did I miss something?
I see it as a person wanting to learn how to work on their own vehicle and things around the house

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I am NOT mechanically inclined, I might ask those here that know of good YouTuber mechanics to mention them to @THAT Gurl for her to see who to pay attention to.

When we were in Oregon some years back, the retreat and reunion center's owner had us get in touch with a guy that was a "mechanic." Come to find out, he learned stuff from YouTube, but still didn't do well. We ended up having to have the vehicle picked up and taken to a dealer to get it fixed, which cost the center over $700.

Now, if I'm going to YouTube for education, I try to watch more than one YouTuber do the same job to see if they seem to be doing the same.

Latest posts

Top Bottom