If a GURL wanted to learn mechanic-ing ... 🤷🤷🤷

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hands on helps.
As James Herriot recorded in one of his books, "there's more to be learned with your hand up a cow's arse than in any textbook," which probably makes more sense if you know that Herriot was a veterinarian.

Or, as the sign hanging in the back of my high school chemistry classroom put it,
I hear and I forget.
I see and I remember.
I do and I understand.

There's a baseline of knowledge that you need, which a lot of us got from holding the flashlight for Dad, but when that's not an option, YouTube can be a pretty solid replacement. The thing I like about FordTechMakuloco's channel ( https://www.youtube.com/@FordTechMakuloco ) is that not only is he good at explaining things, but he's also good about listing parts, tools, and specifications in the descriptions under his videos. Those are super valuable when it comes to putting that theory into practice, and putting it into practice is what it's all about. That's when the real "ah-ha!" moments happen.

Reaction score
Don't know what your work schedule is like. But, I got started in a small shop in an apprentice kinda capacity. for like $8/hr. Just cleaning up and very, very basic vehicle maintenance tasks. Over the years just kinda worked my way up. I agree with the votech route. I couldn't do that at the time due to financial reasons. I needed a part time job to help supplement my main income. And, wanted to learn a new skill. So it kinda fit both so to speak. *take it for what it's worth Just my path.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, thanks a bunch guys! I really appreciate all the advice! I should start watching mechanical YT instead of quilting YT ... Cuz it's root cold to get out and go to class right now. In the spring?? Now that's a different story! 😉🤗

jeepjackazz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
avoid vo-tec at all cost.... anyone with any amount of common sense will be bored with the instructional style after about 2 classes.

Ive done both vo-tec, and have a degree in automotive service technology.. as stated, hands on is how you are going to learn the most, and find what interest you.

Purchase some tools, and buy something broken... the internet will have all you need to pick up on the basics to see if its something you would like to persue...

SiGArmed

Deplorable
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, thanks a bunch guys! I really appreciate all the advice! I should start watching mechanical YT instead of quilting YT ... Cuz it's root cold to get out and go to class right now. In the spring?? Now that's a different story! 😉🤗

In seriousness, Check out ChrisFix on youtube, he's pretty good with the basics and good at explaining stuff. You can start with basics like changing your oil, checking your coolant, bleeding brakes, tune up (plugs, wires, filters)

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oklahoma has one of the best Career Tech systems in the nation,,,
I don't have the catalogs I used as an Occupational Education college student,,,
But I know that three ( or more) Career Tech schools in OK have Small Engine Maintenance programs.

You can pick up a lot of technique/tips on the internet,,,
But if you want to learn a "trade",,,
You need structured classes,,,
Or a true apprenticeship.

I'm a bit biased as my BS was in Occupational Education,,,
And my MS was in Vocational Curriculum Design.

For 17 years I worked very closely with Oklahoma's Career Tech System,,,
As in anything you will encounter in life there are "lemon classes",,,
But for the most part a structured program is always best.

Just my not-so-humble opinion.

Aarond

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hear and I forget.
I see and I remember.
I do and I understand.

The USAF has the second highest rated occupational education on the planet,,,
Second to the USN only because of their nuclear reactor programs.

Both agencies take a HS graduate from Podunk, USA,,,
And turn him or her into an entry level jet engine mechanic in less than a year

I went through the USAF Instructor Academy,,,
We actually had more "butt in seat" time,,,
Than for my BS at OK State University.

One of the adages we often used was very similar,,,
Watch a task, Do that task, Teach that task.

Basically, if you could teach someone else how to do a thing,,,
Then you truly understood how to do that thing.

Einstein was credited with saying:

"If you can't explain what you are doing to a five year old,,,
Then you really don't understand it yourself."

That was a paraphrase,,,
I don't remember the exact quote.

But it's true as all get out,,,
My 4-year old namesake and his 6-year old sister challenge me.

They both ask me about stuff all the time,,,
Of course my answers to them lack fine details,,,
But the challenge is to simplify my answers to their queries.

Aarond

Latest posts

Top Bottom