Adequate crimp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So how do you tell if you have an adequate crimp or not?

Sometimes I feel as though I haven't crimped enough, but then again, I don't want to over crimp. Looking for opinions, techniques, etc.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For bolt rifles and my hand guns I do not crimp..But i have tested for bullet set back to determine if a crimp or no crimp will do.

My lapua .308 cases with .002" neck tension take over 85psi to seat the bullet.. and also during many tests I have found it will take the same force to pull the bullet.

Some rounds like a crimp to build pressure , Say hot rodded 45 colt Ruger loads with 2400 powder.

I crimp my 30-30 rounds for the model 94 lever action.
I use Lee factory crimp dies and just very minimal crimp.. all cases need to be trimmed the same length to have consistent crimp between rounds.

If i notice bullets being set back in the cases i will crimp more on the next batch.

I loaded my 357 mag 6" revolver with 6 rounds..These were max loads .. an actual 158gr mold that threw 170gr bullets, gas checked with 2400 powder those flew through the chrony at 1376 fps That was my hottest load.
I fired 5 rounds and checked the 6th round for OAL and it did not budge.. So i marked that case and fired 5 more and checked that same case and OAL was still the same.

You could test like that and see what you get.. You would be well served to test crimp vs no crimp for accuracy also.
I usually go 1/4 turn to 1/2 turn on my lee dies when i need a crimped round.

Latest posts

Top Bottom