Advice on choosing between AR15 and PTR .308

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTA

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The AR will the cheapest to buy and shoot. It will also be the easiest to work on or modify. The HK91/G3 style rifle will be interesting and unique. That said, when a HK91/G3 style rifle needs work, it can often need the service of a gunsmith (preferably one who specializes in them). There are some things to watch out for when buying a HK91/G3 style rifle, and cjjtulsa mentioned them (though I have not heard of the PTR GI models having cracked trunions - which would concern me greatly).

Antigonus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Then they came out with the “GI” model which uses the HK spec fluting and barrel profile that will eat anything, but those have been recently having trunion cracking problems.

The one I'm buying is a GI model. I'm buying from someone I trust, who is giving me a good deal ($850 shipped) but I will ask him if he's heard anything about that.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That said, when a HK91/G3 style rifle needs work, it can often need the service of a gunsmith (preferably one who specializes in them).
??Aside from barrel replacement, the aforementioned cracked trunion, or a receiver failure, there isn't anything that requires special tools or abilities.

Bolt gap is adjusted with replacement rollers. If you're eating up headspace, it would be the same as a properly torqued AR- it needs to go back to the factory, preferrably to be replaced wuith a new rifle.

The entire trigger group is modular.

We buy specialized wrenches, torque wrenches, etc., for ARs.

A $120 (or $60, if you use the on-line coupon) Harbor Freight press, and access to a wire welder, and a set of feeler gauges is pretty much a "Master Smiths'" tool kit for the G3. Granted, you need some eddication before playing with those tools, but home-builders have been doing this for going on 20 years.

JTA

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
??Aside from barrel replacement, the aforementioned cracked trunion, or a receiver failure, there isn't anything that requires special tools or abilities.

Bolt gap is adjusted with replacement rollers. If you're eating up headspace, it would be the same as a properly torqued AR- it needs to go back to the factory, preferrably to be replaced wuith a new rifle.

The entire trigger group is modular.

We buy specialized wrenches, torque wrenches, etc., for ARs.

A $120 (or $60, if you use the on-line coupon) Harbor Freight press, and access to a wire welder, and a set of feeler gauges is pretty much a "Master Smiths'" tool kit for the G3. Granted, you need some eddication before playing with those tools, but home-builders have been doing this for going on 20 years.

I am referring to the barrel replacement, trunion work, rear sight, and receiver. The G3 series (or any of the HK roller rockers) are not easy to assemble (or at least easy for me) from a kit. AR and FAL can pretty much be screwed together so long as they are headspaced correctly(albeit that is an oversimplification). I cannot weld, and therefore need to send it out to someone else. I have seen good home build projects with these types of rifles, and I have seen bad ones. That can be said for anything, but my lack of tools and skills with said tools necessitates using someone more experienced.

Antigonus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks again for all the info guys - the seller told me that this weapon doesn't fall within the serial number ranges affected by the Trunnion issue, but just in case, he contacted the company and they told him that if I experience a crack or an overly small bolt gap they would fix or replace the weapon at no charge. Sounds like the company is standing by their products, which is nice given how some (cough, Century, cough) don't.

Antigonus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, based on my own research and some of the opinions I've heard here, I will be going with the PTR knowing that if I don't like the weapon or experience problems with it, I will sell it at hopefully a minimal loss and go with an AR.

My next question then would be, can anyone recommend a good, quality bipod for the PTR? I bought a cheap bipod for my Rem 700 and have regretted that purchase since day one.

MDT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can vouch for the customer service for the PTR. When i had mine, i had trouble with the rear sights, i called the company and they sent me replacement sights right away at no cost. Once i received them, they had me call back to assist in installation. Def a thumbs up in the customer service department.

Even with that, I still chose my AR for reasons previously mentioned. Good luck w your decision!

LuckyGunner

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own 4 AR and have only shot the PTR (went a different route for my 308). With it being your first I would go with the AR. Much cheaper to shoot and by the time your confident to shoot out to the distances the 5.56 falls down. You'll probably be ready for a new rifle.

I am biased after using the M16/M4 in the military.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, based on my own research and some of the opinions I've heard here, I will be going with the PTR knowing that if I don't like the weapon or experience problems with it, I will sell it at hopefully a minimal loss and go with an AR.

My next question then would be, can anyone recommend a good, quality bipod for the PTR? I bought a cheap bipod for my Rem 700 and have regretted that purchase since day one.
Harris is pretty much it, for reasonable, stable and durable.
RTG Parts has lots of HK stuff. http://www.robertrtg.com/bipod.html
I can't remember if the stock pod mount(well) with the slim forend. In any event, it is heavy, and not spring loaded.

Here's a link to mount solutions for you: http://www.hkweaponsystems.com/cgi-bin/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=001647

Because of the weight of the rifle, I would be inclined towards the HBRMS: http://www.harrisbipods.com/HBRMS.html

Latest posts

Top Bottom