Aggressive panhandling on the rise in NW Oklahoma City neighborhood

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArmyOfJuan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're absolutely correct. About 10 years ago, Channel 4 or 5 (KFOR or KOCO, OKC, respectively) did a report about these booklets, or at least a similar idea, back when the idea had first come about, I guess.

They took 100 booklets and tried to hand them out to random panhandlers across the metro. I can't recall specific numbers, but I'm in the ballpark when I say that they reported something like less than 10% of these panhandlers accepted the booklets and of those accepted, only something like 3 or 5% of the coupons were redeemed.

It was 6. Out of 100 vouchers, 6 were actually used.

ArmyOfJuan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm also wondering about the people in safety vest passing out strips of paper. It is set up to look like a donation for a worthy cause but something tells me it is a scam. hmmmmm.:confused:: Is this Panhandling 2.0?

Stan Upchurch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you think it's bad be a minister wearing your Collar. It is like a mob around the car. If I'm in the right lane they line up. We are supposed to be kind and help those those in need but... sometime they'll hit me up every day for a place to stay or gas money or food, diapers, etc. It is people that I see every day. When I pull over to talk with them, and they recognize me, they generally walk away from me as if they are deaf. Many of the beggars in Oklahoma City drive a better car than I do. Still i pray for their needs, that they will have food, clothing, and shelter.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you think it's bad be a minister wearing your Collar.

Sidebar... When I was 23, I got hit with a big ticket in Texas for wearing a priests collar in my drivers license photo. Apparently it was considered misdemeanor "Impersonating a member of the clergy"... The judge was cool about it though, made me pay cash and let me keep a squeaky clean record.

Thread hijack over.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They do work in shifts
I worked in Tulsa off of 17th and SW Blvd, right at the 17th st exit on 75 under track they are always there. I watched them one day, guy sitting on the corner on a egg crate. Another begger walker up, showed him his watch showing him the time. The guy on the crate got up, handed him the sign and walked over and sat down with the rest of the beggars while the other took the seat on the crate at the corner holding the sign LOL

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
They do work in shifts
I worked in Tulsa off of 17th and SW Blvd, right at the 17th st exit on 75 under track they are always there. I watched them one day, guy sitting on the corner on a egg crate. Another begger walker up, showed him his watch showing him the time. The guy on the crate got up, handed him the sign and walked over and sat down with the rest of the beggars while the other took the seat on the crate at the corner holding the sign LOL

Was it a Rolex???

dcmtex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always `tell them "heck no I have no spare change, obama already took it and passed it out and he should go ask him for his share".

I can't say I'm seeing an increase but they are plentiful in downtown Tulsa

Latest posts

Top Bottom