Airgun for Varmints?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, it certainly takes the right setup for the person and situation. There are times i wish i went .22 caliber, but not enough for me to upgrade from what i know. Plinking squirrels at 50 yards is fun and understanding your pellet path is key. Pellet guns are underrated in the amount of fun they can provide on the cheap.
Yeah, I could probably have the best PCP guns money can buy for all the money spent on simple CO2 and pumpers over the pandemic. I just love them but I'm using mostly for target practice but the 1377 is an awesome gun for light pest control in a compact pkg. We probably need to resurrect the official airgun thread and start posting some pics. I saw a vid the other day where a guy made his 2289g into a "scout rifle" airgun...pretty cool. I might do something similar with mine. I have tried all sorts of penetration tests on full cans of beans and the slower 22cal from the same powerplant just beats the 177 hands down as much as I love 177 and its flat trajectory and cheaper pellets LOL.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it would depend on his age, size, and experience. What’s his price point?

PCPs would be out for me due to cost of gun/pump easy to spend a grand here. To me a hunting rifle is a better youth choice. These can take down deer size game.

A gun at Walmart may be his best choice IMO. Hard to beat a Gamo, Beeman, or Sheridan. I’d get .22 cal for the cost/benefit myself. Most of these guns are rated with light pellets, I shoot lead. You should be able to get a good one for $99 to $150. .22 cal should be rated around 900 fps.

Here’s the two I own, these guns are as heavy as a real rifle and built that way as well, These guns will last a lifetime. The 48 is very easy to cock, the 34 is like any other break barrel, not bad but takes some effort.

I also have .177 and a .22 cal from Walmart that are fine. The difference is quality and the triggers. The accuracy to me would be a comparison between a semiautomatic and a bolt.

The real advantage to the .177 to me would be many brands let you shoot bbs as well for cheap plinking.

my .02

https://thegunzone.com/diana-rws-34-review/
https://www.thebestairrifle.com/top-air-rifle-300-diana-rws-34-wt06-trigger/
The sidewinders are easy to cock.

https://www.thebestairrifle.com/editors-pick-400-diana-rws-48-t06-trigger/

Last edited:

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it would depend on his age, size, and experience. What’s his price point?

PCPs would be out for me due to cost of gun/pump easy to spend a grand here. To me a hunting rifle is a better youth choice. These can take down deer size game.

A gun at Walmart may be his best choice IMO. Hard to beat a Gamo, Beeman, or Sheridan. I’d get .22 cal for the cost/benefit myself. Most of these guns are rated with light pellets, I shoot lead. You should be able to get a good one for $99 to $150. .22 cal should be rated around 900 fps.

Here’s the two I own, these guns are as heavy as a real rifle and built that way as well, These guns will last a lifetime. The 48 is very easy to cock, the 34 is like any other break barrel, not bad but takes some effort.

I also have .177 and a .22 cal from Walmart that are fine. The difference is quality and the triggers. The accuracy to me would be a comparison between a semiautomatic and a bolt.

my .02

https://www.thebestairrifle.com/top-air-rifle-300-diana-rws-34-wt06-trigger/
The sidewinders are easy to cock.

https://www.thebestairrifle.com/editors-pick-400-diana-rws-48-t06-trigger/
I was going to recommend RWS as well but figured I said enough LOL....however, the 99 dollar specials at walmart won't touch 900FPS with a regular weight lead pellet. AND I have had 3 out of 4 of them fail within the 1st 100rds and lose half their FPS due to poor chinese quality. If you get a good one, that can do 700+FPS 22cal with lead, then that would meet the bare min threashold for a coon head shot within a reasonable distance. But I still say 20FPE or more is more humane.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I typically shoot squirrels with my cheaper guns. Never chronograph any of them.
Although I am a huge fan of Crosman, the Crosman entry-level nitro piston guns (which includes some of the Benjamins as well) seem to be an issue. The pistons are hit and miss but the guns do have a warranty if you don't mind paying a 1/3rd the price of the gun to send it back to them LOL. A good one in 22cal will shoot 750ish with a 14.3gr pellet, but when they fail, they can drop a lot of power but still shoot so it is a risk if you didn't know you were not at full power on a critter.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies and any that follow.

Guess I should have said that my grandson is 13 and understands firearms safety.
And understands hunting.

He has taken several deer already with a 308 that I gave him.
And, he has dispatched a few raccoons that he trapped with his current pellet rifle.
He also has his own 12 and 20 gauge shotties and a 10/22
He has shot my FA Uzi, 16 and Thompson safely and well.

But, those are all supervised usage.

I think, operative word think, he wants this for knocking around and "hunting" raccoons.

He evened informed me that he has to have his hunter's safety course before he can use something other than an air rifle.

Not really concerned about him, but some of the company he keeps and his cousins!!

Dave

Latest posts

Top Bottom