Alice on SHTF preparations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But then, the experts would typically say to them to include their neighbors.

Basic human social history/anthropology tells us people began to group together in order to achieve greater security for all. This evolved over time to where specialization of inputs (butcher, baker, candlestick maker, etc.) led to greater outputs and economic advantages to all. Follows Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs on a social rather than an individual scale/perspective.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Basic human social history/anthropology tells us people began to group together in order to achieve greater security for all. This evolved over time to where specialization of inputs (butcher, baker, candlestick maker, etc.) led to greater outputs and economic advantages to all. Follows Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs on a social rather than an individual scale/perspective.

Man, that's like... deep.

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Alright got me thinkin I am an eater I need a cooker and a cleaner. I will just add to the list as I see fit.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright got me thinkin I am an eater I need a cooker and a cleaner. I will just add to the list as I see fit.

LOL ... you and GC!! Although I must say being a Stepford wife does have it's perks!

As many of you know, I wander around the prepper boards for education and entertainment (not necessarily in that order). These folks that are gonna wander the wasteland and find "like minded individuals" (as well as those who own 245784957394 acres with 2305823437 acres of food plots already on it looking for indentured servants) wear me thin.

If you study what happened in Sarajevo and Argentina (just to name a couple) during their SHTF moments the folks who tended to stay put and make do with the friends, family and neighbors and employment opportunities they already have around them fared the best.

I'm too F'ng old to Rambo it anymore.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the last line of my post I was just getting at that it was surprising how much effort people put into doing things covertly so no one knew only to have the experts tell them to include all those they were trying to hide their prep from.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the last line of my post I was just getting at that it was surprising how much effort people put into doing things covertly so no one knew only to have the experts tell them to include all those they were trying to hide their prep from.

I only saw snippets of the show (doing two things at once and watching tv too) but I did notice that the "experts" did what experts do best ... No matter what you are doing it seems you need to do the opposite. If you are being covert, you should try to "bring like-minded folks in" and if you are letting folks know what you are doing you should be "more covert". It's a no-win situation.

Reminds me of a job I had once where I made all these recommendations on how the office could run more efficiently. A couple of months later the office manager hired a consultant. After 6 months the consultant said basically the same thing I did. And he got paid a TON of money for saying it. All I got was the stink-eye ... lol

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Eaters first require hunter/gatherers unless the eaters are able to fill those roles, too. As Heinlein noted, specialization is for insects. Multiple skills increase the likelihood you can survive, no matter whether you choose to go it alone or in a group.

Just for fun and totally OT but just since Badge Bunny is in here, another Heinlein quote: "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just for fun and totally OT but just since Badge Bunny is in here, another Heinlein quote: "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."

:disappoin:disappoin

:spitlaugh Actually, you owe me a keyboard!! I read that to GC and he just shook his head. I said "You know as well as I do that that's as it should be". :pms2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom