How to store and prepare morrels?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buddy gave me some last night he had sitting in a fruit bowl open to the air and sent them with me in a plastic zip-lock bag. I tossed the bag into the pantry still zipped and today they are turning to mush...did I ruin them? I have no unzipped the bag to let them air out.

If not ruined, how should i store them, how long will they keep, and best to prepare them to eat?

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tossed the slimy ones on the advice of this thread but I still have a couple that are "sort of" okay...so what do I do with them...I put them in a bowl to dry out more...are they safe to eat with any slime? How to cook/eat?

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mushrooms Store best in a paper bag in the fridge short term. Remember that they are a living thing and can suffocate in a plastic bag. You can dry in a food dehydrator, in your oven on the lowest setting or on a strung in the sun or warm dry place.

Morels in particular need to be purged in salt water before eating or drying. Those nooks and crannies are full of bugs, mostly ants. Then pat dry with paper towels and use like any other mushroom.
1681771631855.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom