Alice on SHTF preparations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vamoose

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was a show on discovery or some channel of the sort called "Doomsday Preppers". Look it up. It was a show about people's survival plans and what they are doing to prepare. Then at the end of each segment experts asses their plans and say whether they are good or where they are strong and where they are weak. I was surprised at how many people would only do stuff at night to prevent their neighbors from knowing they had done all this prep. But then, the experts would typically say to them to include their neighbors.

Cool! I found it online. It's a National Geographic presentation. Thanks for the tip. I like the guy who converted his swimming pool into a self sufficient urban green house, including raising fish! I never thought of something like that.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some Mormons do SHTF prep by canning and preserving. But they really cook with all of that food, all the time! They don't buy rice this Thursday for Sunday dinner. These generally have a big drive where they seal a bunch of food at the church. They take it home and cook with it until the next food sealing meetup.

So if you want to prep for SHTF... there's nothing like practice to find out what works and point out how crappy some of your ideas are. There's nothing like going to bed hungry to point out "Maybe those hard red wheat berries aren't a great idea when you don't have electricity for that electric wheat grinder" or "holy crap this hand mill is hard to operate."

But really, the soviet union absolutely fell apart, and it didn't turn into Thunderdome... hard to decide which basket to put your eggs in.

Latest posts

Top Bottom