Alternate FMJ and JHP in your CC clips?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard of some guys and gals putting a FMJ round in between each JHP round in their clips.

Do any of you subscribe to this method?

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
NO, why? If you are useing quality jhp then no need. If you are useing an underpowered round then just use fmj. I know some flip slugs and buckshot in thier shotguns but a hand gun is not a shotgun.
I would be afraid of a jam.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard of some guys and gals putting a FMJ round in between each JHP round in their clips.

Do any of you subscribe to this method?

I don't. I've never heard of the practice discussed positively by trained shooters or instructors.

IMHO if you really need 2 or more types of ammo (most applicable to military rifle use rather than a carry pistol), then keep separate mags and choose the proper ammo for the job.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never. About the only ammo mixing I do is 3 rounds of tracer at the bottom of my AR mags. I always keep my slugs and buckshot in separate mags and the same goes for a mag full of AP for my AR. I don't even bother with a mag full of FMJ for my pistols.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The ONLY reason I could see for doing that is concern about not enough penetration by the JHP rounds. If you are concerned about that, load all FMJs.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't kill the messenger, kids.

I wasn't stating that I condone this practice, I don't. I load hollow points in my CCW. I was just curious if the alternating rounds theory held any water.

Latest posts

Top Bottom