Alternative Fire Protection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cigman1st

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Killed with the crash so here it is again. Thanks Kelly for all you do for us on the site.

I'm looking for suggestions for fire protection. While I don't have much, I would like to keep it, I currently have a safe, placed and attached inside the house, alarms, good neighbors that watch everything, law enforcement is close. Not as worried about theft or weather, but fire...worried. My safe is a Bear but is about 20 years old and not fire rated. From what I have gathered, even if you buy let's say a $5000______________(pic your favorite brand) fire rated safe, stuff inside never seems to make it. Is this the best route or is there a reasonable option for the same money?

I have an in-ground storm shelter in the garage and have considered putting in a second in combination with a fire rated safe. Just not sure how hot the in-ground shelters get in the event of a fire, or regular temp and humidity changes.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you considered a residential sprinkler system? Houses can be fitted with indoor sprinkler systems that can be supplied through your existing water supply. There are home builders building new homes with them as part of the installation.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep in mind that Bear will give you what ever you paid for it as a trade in for one of there new fire rated safes. If you live where the fire department will get there in less than 30 minutes, then the Bear will do pretty good. They have had quite a few safes in fires with good results. The one that they showed me a picture of where everything was destroyed was in Piedmont where the fire was caught in one of their grass fires a couple of years ago. The house burnt to the ground without any water being put on it.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you considered a residential sprinkler system? Houses can be fitted with indoor sprinkler systems that can be supplied through your existing water supply. There are home builders building new homes with them as part of the installation.
Really great idea ....but have you considered storing them on a ....boat....Brilliant!!!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom