Always stay alert, attempted kidnapping in Tulsa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found out today that a friend of mine in Tulsa was nearly kidnapped at 101st and Mingo. He met someone there to sell an IPhone he has to a Craigslist buyer. I don’t have all the details yet, but there were at least 2 men that showed up to meet him. They said they “couldn’t pay for the phone today” and then tried to pull him into the car with them. The driver sped away at that same time with my friend hanging half way out of their vehicle. The force of acceleration was enough to make the kidnapper lose his grip and my friend got away. The phone was lost, but he is safe. This happened last Thursday. My friend isn’t a small guy, maybe just a little bigger than average and athletic in nature. He’s a grown man in his mid thirties. I’m not sure what they wanted with him, but it had to be bad. Snatch and grab thefts happen regularly, but trying to kidnap someone is on a different level, obviously. Police reports have been filed, which I guess is all you can do. He is a gun owner, but sees it as a recreational hobby more than anything. He’s not licensed and wasn’t carrying his pistol. I’ve reached out to him to see if he’s now interested in a carry license and learning to draw from a holster, and that I would gladly teach him to do those things quickly and safely. I haven’t heard back from him yet, but I see him a couple times a week usually. I’ll keep pressing the issue.

Guys, keep your head on a swivel and carry everywhere. Never meet Craigslist strangers alone. Try to meet in police station parking lots when you can. If something doesn’t feel right, bail on the potential sale or buy. It’s not worth it. Stay safe.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found out today that a friend of mine in Tulsa was nearly kidnapped at 101st and Mingo. He met someone there to sell an IPhone he has to a Craigslist buyer. I don’t have all the details yet, but there were at least 2 men that showed up to meet him. They said they “couldn’t pay for the phone today” and then tried to pull him into the car with them. The driver sped away at that same time with my friend hanging half way out of their vehicle. The force of acceleration was enough to make the kidnapper lose his grip and my friend got away. The phone was lost, but he is safe. This happened last Thursday. My friend isn’t a small guy, maybe just a little bigger than average and athletic in nature. He’s a grown man in his mid thirties. I’m not sure what they wanted with him, but it had to be bad. Snatch and grab thefts happen regularly, but trying to kidnap someone is on a different level, obviously. Police reports have been filed, which I guess is all you can do. He is a gun owner, but sees it as a recreational hobby more than anything. He’s not licensed and wasn’t carrying his pistol. I’ve reached out to him to see if he’s now interested in a carry license and learning to draw from a holster, and that I would gladly teach him to do those things quickly and safely. I haven’t heard back from him yet, but I see him a couple times a week usually. I’ll keep pressing the issue.

Guys, keep your head on a swivel and carry everywhere. Never meet Craigslist strangers alone. Try to meet in police station parking lots when you can. If something doesn’t feel right, bail on the potential sale or buy. It’s not worth it. Stay safe.

Damm, thats insane! I'm sure he will have an attitude change. Good for you to push him that way.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was this at night? Kind of bold to do this in that area during the day otherwise. Any kind of description?

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Thanks for the report. Maybe some more details like: race, ethnicity, age, weight, hair and eye color, tattoos, scars, noticeable physical characteristics, and vehicle description as these might help people avoid and, or report these thugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m sure my friend has some type of description. I’m getting this info second hand from my wife. He did say he was interested in getting a license to carry. I should see him tonight and get there rest of the details, the good ones my wife didn’t think to ask.

He called the police and they reviewed the stores security cameras. I don’t know if they got the plate numbers or not.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Finally spoke first hand with my friend. The two suspects were a black heavy set male in his early to mid twenties, and a half black half white heavy set female. They were driving a dark colored Ford Fusion. They parked at the pumps facing out towards the road at the Kum and Go at 101st and Mingo. He had been speaking via Facebook Messenger with the female who set up the meeting. The suspects never got out of the vehicle, only opened the passenger door where the female was sitting. She asked to see the IPhone 8 my friend was selling. When he reached to hand her the phone the male driver reached over and grabbed him as well the female. They pulled him into the vehicle and began driving away. They wanted the phone and may have wanted him also. Possibly not? Either way, my friend was dragged for about 150 feet before he managed to get his arm free and fall out of the vehicle. The Facebook account used to set up the meeting has been deleted.

Latest posts

Top Bottom