Am I the only one with this strategy for deer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I go into the woods to scout or hang stands, etc., I go in as stinky as possible, and/or wearing cologne, and talk and make a lot of noise. White or bright clothes, whatever I happen to be wearing.

I want the deer to see/hear/smell the difference, so that when I'm sneaking in during the season, they might just think I'm a dillo or turkey or whatever.

If I try to be halfway stealthy during scouting, and THEN they still put two and two together - "Oh, wait, that sound is people", then it will be more easy for them to make that connection during the season.

Thoughts?

Only time I deviate from this M.O. is if I'm going in within a week and a half or so before the time I'll actually be hunting. Then I don't want to just scare them out of an area for 2 weeks with my loud presence.

Shooter00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm with you...We don't do anything different to go into deer wood before season, we want the deer to get used to our presence. We'll take a leak near the stands, walk all through the area a few a few times, etc.

A friend of mine was telling me that he started wearing the rubber boots and going to all sorts of trouble to watch his scent in the woods after he saw a doe walk up to the trail he walked in on, stop, sniff and turn around and head the other direction without crossing his scent trail.

In our area, we'd been there enough to establish a presence and have seen deer walking in to my stand areas on the same trail I used wearing regular leather boots, after having my afternoon nap in the house in the same clothes. I think the scent stuff is mostly hype, and for guys that don't get a chance for the deer to get to know them.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I pretty much covered this in another post, but If one goes into the field a week or so before season, and leaves scent everywhere, the bucks will be on alert. If your in an urban area where people's scent are everywhere, no problem

JW/OK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I knew a guy that pen raised Bobwhite Quail for hunting purposes. He would only go into the pen wearing white clothing so that when the quail were later released they would be afraid of humans wearing normal hunting clothes.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I live on the same property that I hunt and I don't spend money on the scent cover or all the camo. The deer out here just don't really pay that much attention to us even when I am out shooting targets they stay within 300 yards with their heads down eating. During season we don't have any problems finding the does and small bucks the bigger bucks we don't see that much because my neighbors will shoot at anything and everything. Last year during gun season it started raining so I was sitting in the truck with dad listening to the radio drinking coffee and talking with a cigarette hanging out of my mouth when a few doe just started walking right to us.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My friend gathered up some hair from his mom's barber shop and spreader it out over the area where he wanted the deer to stop traveling to. It seemed to work.
Doc I'm with you. I wear normal clothes, make all the noise I
want and really don't worry about what I do while I
working my lease until a couple of weeks before season. Then I go I stealth mode! I don't know how many deer have come real
close to me while hanging stands and dumping corn and what not. I think that have some curiosity as well

Latest posts

Top Bottom