American Sniper

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
An incredibly powerful film! Nobody left the theatre when they were rolling credits and showing footage of the funeral. When the music ended and the screen went black and started scrolling with minor credits, then people got up and quietly left the theatre.

As they intermixed into the rest of the customers at the theatre, you could still pick them out because they were the people that were visibly solemn and quiet. Most amazing thing I've ever witnessed after a movie ...

smax

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was a great movie, and even my wife loved it. I wish they wouldn't have made the central focus of the movie a completely made up story line. The story in the book would have been more than good enough without making up the bs they did.

Actually I like the idea of the movie, but it really kind of pisses me off that Hollywood changed the story so much. It usually doesn't bother me when they adapt books to movies and change the story up, but this was a real man with a real family. I'm sure if he were still here today he wouldn't have much love for the movie.

Last edited:

gsarg

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought it was okay. Had high hopes for the movie, but came away underwhelmed. Cooper deserves the Oscar; he did a great job. The whole premise was the story of the 'most prolific American sniper in history', yet he was behind glass only a few times during the 2:20hr movie. Definitely worth watching, but I would say wait until it is available via streaming (especially considering the massive crowds at the theater). I found Blackhawk Down, Saving Private Ryan and Lone Survivor (modern war movies) were much, much better. The bright spot of AS was the focus on how war affects our troops and their families when they come home. Plus, there are some questions as to the validity of some of the movie's major story lines (won't give them away, here) since they weren't in the book and were not discussed by Chris in his interviews. They spent most of the movie on these story lines, which is a shame. Could have been so much better considering how well prepared Cooper was for the role.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought the premise of the movie was how becoming the most prolific sniper affected Kyle, and how it affected those around him; as sell as how he became the man he was. I would have been disappointed if it was all about being behind the glass and slaying folks.

gsarg

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought the premise of the movie was how becoming the most prolific sniper affected Kyle, and how it affected those around him; as sell as how he became the man he was. I would have been disappointed if it was all about being behind the glass and slaying folks.

My point is, during the deployment scenes, they had him clearing rooms most of the time while chasing two false story lines when they could have used that time to drive out the story of why he earned the title 'Legend'. The overarching plot of the movie was definitely how what he did affected him and his family. I thought the end of the movie was tastefully done. They could have gone a whole different direction with that, but thought they did a very tasteful job.

Latest posts

Top Bottom