And this is why I hate to fly

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got to hear Herb Speak last year at our company meeting. Tons of insite. Also as an accountant I must agree that accountants have zero business running a company. There is no opportunity for growth with accountants. Only a focus on the money. Which long term kills a company if they stop developing themselves to make ROI today.
Precisely why I exited Siemens Building Technologies in 2006 when they implemented a new accounting software called SAP. SAP is an accountant's wet dream. We were flown to Houston for two weeks to learn how to use the software. I could tell it was going to be a nightmare when I arrived and started to understand the system was basically based on people creating "buckets" in order to "do work". The problem is, I cannot create a bucket, someone above me had to get permission from someone above them.

SAP was implemented about 6 months AFTER everyone was trained and about everyone had forgotten their training because they were not working with the system during that time. If the people above you didn't do their job, you couldn't do yours. We called it Stop All Production.

It got so bad the managers were shelling out money from their own pockets for parts and shipping red overnight just to keep customers happy. We had jobs and service calls but could get no parts because the accountants were in control of the buckets. I had had enough of watching our customers going to other providers and sitting on my butt because no one did their job above my level of authority.

I hated SAP so much, every time Ernie Els stepped up to swing I changed the channel.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Precisely why I exited Siemens Building Technologies in 2006 when they implemented a new accounting software called SAP. SAP is an accountant's wet dream. We were flown to Houston for two weeks to learn how to use the software. I could tell it was going to be a nightmare when I arrived and started to understand the system was basically based on people creating "buckets" in order to "do work". The problem is, I cannot create a bucket, someone above me had to get permission from someone above them.

SAP was implemented about 6 months AFTER everyone was trained and about everyone had forgotten their training because they were not working with the system during that time. If the people above you didn't do their job, you couldn't do yours. We called it Stop All Production.

It got so bad the managers were shelling out money from their own pockets for parts and shipping red overnight just to keep customers happy. We had jobs and service calls but could get no parts because the accountants were in control of the buckets. I had had enough of watching our customers going to other providers and sitting on my butt because no one did their job above my level of authority.

I hated SAP so much, every time Ernie Els stepped up to swing I changed the channel.
I feel the same way about Maximo.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Still using SAP today.

Solumina is even worse.

It's really the whole "just in time" mentality. It's a failure state, and you can triple that statement when you consider "just in time" often means from China or Mexico.

Those missing auto chip issues and the minor shortages of 2022 are just tastes of what's to come, I reckon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom