Animal rights spy drone shot down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLRyan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many years ago, at the TAFB skeet range, a colonel was flying his RC aircraft over the range during a registered shoot. He was obviously just messing with the shooters, hedge-hopping over the target houses.

One of the competitors happened to have a duck load--he of course denied any involvement--and shot the RC down. The owner was highly peeved. The squad of five shooters was probably worth, collectively, about a billion dollars. They started throwing hundred dollar bills on the ground in front of the owner, and he finally bent down to pick them up when there was more there than the aircraft was worth.

About the animal rights folks, you pays your money and you takes your choice. Flying a drone over private property within shotgun range sounds a bit lile trespassing to me, and since the facility is for shooting, getting close has its hazards. I would be of a mind to sue SHARK for harrassment.

About live bird shoots, I despise the practice and think any responsible shooter should have the morality and good taste to stay away from it. However, on a good day 25 years ago, a live bird shoot could pay you nearly a hundred grand. An old friend of mine became wealthy on the proceeds of such events. He was the best all around shotgun shooter I have ever known. I haven't kept up with live bird shoots since then. Just don't like the idea of pulling feathers out and flinging a tame bird out so it can be shot. Lots of wounded, and no provision for mercy killings. After an event, wounded and dying birds are all over the facility for a while.

I rank live bird shoots just a notch below "high fence hunts" where one pays a large amount of cash to kill an imported, fenced critter. If I were to do that, I would specify a cow, because the meat tastes better, and I don't see the difference between shooting a cow and shooting an exotic animal when it's fenced.

Back to the original point of this thread, I have no use for the animal rights groups when they choose to attempt to physically interfere with someone who is within his rights to do whatever. The drone has to be looked at a cost of doing business.

How long ago was this? I wish we still had a non-CATM range on TAFB. The won't let people fly RCs anymore either.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to know if the drone was approved and operating in accordance with FAA rules regarding drone operations???

When does an RC plane cease being a hobbyist plane, and become a drone? Meaning, when does the FAA need to be involved? When a camera is strapped on? Is it a matter of intent?

I know certain manned aircraft do not require FAA oversight, so I imagine most (all?) radio controlled aircraft do not.

Not a trolling question. I'm curious as to where the distinction lies. I could probably look it up but thought you may know offhand and searching fed regs is not always a quick and easy task.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When does an RC plane cease being a hobbyist plane, and become a drone? Meaning, when does the FAA need to be involved? When a camera is strapped on? Is it a matter of intent?

I know certain manned aircraft do not require FAA oversight, so I imagine most (all?) radio controlled aircraft do not.

Not a trolling question. I'm curious as to where the distinction lies. I could probably look it up but thought you may know offhand and searching fed regs is not always a quick and easy task.

http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/uas/reg/

Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations
Part 1, Definitions, Civil Aircraft, section 1.1
Part 21, Certification Procedures for Products and Parts
Part 21, Subpart H, Airworthiness Certificates, Experimental Certificates, sections 21.191 and 21.193
Advisory Circulars
AC 21-12, Application for U.S. Airworthiness Certificate, FAA Form 8130-6
AC 45-2, Identification and Registration Marking
AC 91-57, Model Aircraft Operating Standards
Forms
FAA Form 8130-6 (PDF), Application for U.S. Airworthiness Certificate
Orders
Order 1110.150, Small Unmanned Aircraft System Aviation Rulemaking Committee (ARC)
Order 8130.2, Airworthiness Certification of Aircraft and Related Products
Order 8130.20, Registration Requirements for the Airworthiness Certification of U.S. Civil Aircraft
Order 8130.34 (PDF), Airworthiness Certification of Unmanned Aircraft Systems
Policies
Federal Register Notice - Clarification of FAA Policy (PDF), UAS Operations in the U.S. National Airspace System
Interim Operational Approval Guidance 08-01 (PDF), Unmanned Aircraft Systems Operations in the U.S. National Airspace System
UAS Certification Status, November 15, 2006 (PDF), includes FAA focal points for UAS certification project coordination
UAS Certification Status, Optionally Piloted Aircraft and Accidents Involving UAS, August 18, 2008 (PDF), Revision to AVS Policy

http://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/news_story.cfm?newsId=6287

Introduction
Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) come in a variety of shapes and sizes, and serve diverse purposes. They may have a wingspan as large as a Boeing 737 or smaller than a radio-controlled model airplane. A pilot on the ground is always in charge of UAS operations.

Until recently, UASs mainly supported military and security operations, but that is rapidly changing. Unmanned aircraft promise new ways to increase efficiency, save money, enhance safety and even save lives. Interest is growing in a broad range of uses such as aerial photography, surveying land and crops, monitoring forest fires and environmental conditions, and protecting borders and ports against intruders.

In the United States alone, approximately 50 companies, universities, and government organizations are developing and producing some 155 unmanned aircraft designs.

The FAA’s Role: Safety First
The FAA’s main concern about UAS operations in the National Airspace System (NAS) is safety. The NAS encompasses an average of more than 100,000 aviation operations per day, including commercial air traffic, cargo operations, and business jets. Additionally, there are more than 238,000 general aviation aircraft in the system at any time. It is critical that aircraft do not endanger other users of the NAS or compromise the safety of persons or property on the ground.

Recreational use of the NAS is covered by FAA Advisory Circular (AC) 91-57 which generally limits operations to below 400 feet above ground level and away from airports and air traffic.

There are two acceptable means of operating UAS in the NAS outside of “restricted” airspace: a Special Airworthiness Certificate – Experimental Category or a Certificate of Waiver or Authorization (COA).

A Special Airworthiness Certificate in the Experimental Category is the only certification available to civil operators of UAS. Due to regulatory requirements, this approval precludes carrying persons or property for compensation or hire, but does allow operations for research and development, market survey, and crew training.

Since July 2005, the FAA has issued 78 experimental certificates for 17 different aircraft types. Through these efforts, the FAA works with manufacturers to collect technical and operational data to help improve the UAS airworthiness certification process.

The COA process is available to public entities, such as government agencies (including local law enforcement and state universities), who want to fly a UAS in civil airspace. Applicants apply online and the FAA evaluates the request. The FAA issues a Certificate of Waiver or Authorization (COA), generally based on the following principles:

The COA authorizes an operator to use defined airspace and includes special provisions unique to each operation. For instance, a COA may include a requirement to operate only under Visual Flight Rules (VFR) and/or during daylight hours. Most COAs are issued for a specified time period (up to one year, in most cases).
Most, if not all, COAs require coordination with an appropriate air traffic control facility and may require the UAS to have a transponder to operate in certain types of airspace.
Due to the UASs inability to comply with ”sense and avoid” rules, a ground observer or an accompanying “chase” aircraft must maintain visual contact with the UAS and serve as its “eyes” when operating outside of airspace that is restricted from other users.
The FAA is streamlining the COA process and has also increased staffing by more than a dozen people. In 2009, the FAA issued 146 COAs. As of December 1, 2010, there were 273 active COAs. The agency has issued COA’s in 2010 to 95 users on 72 different aircraft types.

Operation and Certification Standards
To address the increasing civil market and the desire by civilian operators to fly UASs, the FAA is developing new policies, procedures, and approval processes. Developing and implementing new UAS standards and guidance is a long-term effort.

The FAA created the Unmanned Aircraft Program Office (UAPO) and the Air Traffic Organization (ATO) UAS office to integrate UASs safely and efficiently into the NAS.
The FAA is working closely with stakeholders in the UAS community to define operational and certification requirements. It is critical to develop and validate appropriate operational procedures, regulatory standards and policies for routine UAS access to the NAS.
The FAA has asked RTCA– a group that frequently advises the agency on technical issues – to work with the industry and develop UAS standards. RTCA will answer two key questions:

1. How will UASs handle communication, command, and control?
2. How will UASs “sense and avoid” other aircraft?
These are long-term activities. The first of three milestones is targeted for completion prior to 2015.

The FAA continues to work closely with its international counterparts to harmonize standards, policies, procedures, and regulatory requirements.

Data is Key
More safety data is needed before the FAA can make an informed decision to fully integrate UASs into the NAS, where the public travels each day. Continuing to review of UAS operations will enhance the FAA’s ability to assess the safety and improve the use of this technology.

Small Eyes in the Sky
The FAA expects small UASs to experience the greatest near-term growth in civil and commercial operations because of their versatility and relatively low initial cost and operating expenses. The agency has received extensive public comment on small UASs, both from proponents who feel their size dictates minimal regulation and from groups concerned about hazards to piloted general aviation aircraft and the safety of persons or property on the ground..

In April 2008, the FAA chartered an Aviation Rulemaking Committee (ARC) to examine these operational and safety issues and make recommendations on how to proceed with regulating Small UASs. The agency has received the ARC recommendations, and is drafting a proposed rule. The FAA aims to publish a proposed rule in 2011.

One of the most promising potential uses for small UASs is in law enforcement. Although the Small UAS ARC was not specific to law enforcement organizations, they participated in the Committee.

Currently, any law enforcement organization must follow the COA process if they wish to conduct demonstration flights. The FAA has already worked with urban police departments in Houston and Miami on test programs involving unmanned aircraft. The goal is to help identify the challenges that UASs will bring into this environment and what type of operations can safely be conducted by law enforcement.

The Bottom Line
The introduction of UASs into the NAS is challenging for the FAA and the aviation community. UAS proponents have a growing interest in expediting access to the NAS. There is an increase in the number and scope of UAS flights in an already busy NAS.

The design of many UASs makes them difficult to see and adequate “detect, sense and avoid” technology is years away. Decisions being made about UAS airworthiness and operational requirements must fully address safety implications of UASs flying in the same airspace as manned aircraft, and perhaps more importantly, aircraft with passengers.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How long ago was this? I wish we still had a non-CATM range on TAFB. The won't let people fly RCs anymore either.

The range was bulldozed during Desert Storm. Altus closed theirs about the same time, and I heard it was Air Force wide. Happily, the range at Fort Sill appears to be alive and well, and it used to allow the public access, though the gate security currently in place would warrant some phone calls before showing up with skeet or trap guns.

I think the incident I related happened sometime in the 70s. I am pretty sure all the guys I knew on that squad are dead. Even then they were getting old, and all but one were richer than God. The shooter who downed the RC was occasionally rich . . .

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The range was bulldozed during Desert Storm. Altus closed theirs about the same time, and I heard it was Air Force wide. Happily, the range at Fort Sill appears to be alive and well, and it used to allow the public access, though the gate security currently in place would warrant some phone calls before showing up with skeet or trap guns.

I think the incident I related happened sometime in the 70s. I am pretty sure all the guys I knew on that squad are dead. Even then they were getting old, and all but one were richer than God. The shooter who downed the RC was occasionally rich . . .

Herby still had one in the early 90's and club membership was wise, as you could carry a range bag on and off with a card.

No drone range, tho.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
PFFFTTT, this thread just made me remember I've shot down a couple of drones already.

Well, they weren't self propelled, but pulled by another plane on a tether.
We had to qualify with the quad .50 twice a year. I got lucky and got there the week after, and had to qualify again a day or two before leaving.

Latest posts

Top Bottom