Another Controversial Thread-Head Shots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iwant1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lung to gut: 12-16"
Neck to jaw: 2-3"
That's 400-500% margin, not worth it IMHO.

I process my own and I want to hear what meat do you loose with a lung shot?

Since everyone keeps bringing up accuracy, is this the silent reason why a head/neck shot is "unethical"?
This reminds me of people who are always discouraging marriage. They say it sucks! Never get married! These are the people that are on their 3rd marriage and even it's unhappy.
Maybe the people resisting the shot can't shoot 1/4" groups?

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not about accuracy - it's about "**** happens in real life":
- bumped scope
- inaccurate round
- wind
- a branch/grass
- dirty barrel
- humidity
- small spec on the crown
- loose action bolt
- etc, etc, etc

When that happens at the range you just don't get to brag to your buddies about that one awesome group you shot, when it happens on a game - you get to chase a suffering animal. And honestly you should be ready to chase wounded animal either way. Generally if you have to ask - you shouldn't do it: hunting is 50% patience and 50% confidence.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I say take the highest percentage shot you can. One that you absolutely know you can make. I have not taken that shot before but I did have a doe reach her head around on her back side just as I shot and the exiting bullet took out her jawbone. She went down from the shot after running about 20yds with her jaw hanging off. Gruesome.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not a hunter, though I don't begrudge others for hunting - not one bit at all. I'm fine with it.

Having issued that disclaimer, I'd have to agree that a head shot isn't a good idea unless you can honestly say you're that good. I've seen enough deer to know the head moves a lot compared to the torso - when feeding, scoping the area for threats, biting at a horsefly on the butt, etc. I'm with the folks here who say don't try it, but instead take the lung/heart shot.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
it doesn't matter how good a shot you are you can't account for the the deer moving at just the wrong time. take the higher percentage shot

THE JOKER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since everyone keeps bringing up accuracy, is this the silent reason why a head/neck shot is "unethical"?
This reminds me of people who are always discouraging marriage. They say it sucks! Never get married! These are the people that are on their 3rd marriage and even it's unhappy.
Maybe the people resisting the shot can't shoot 1/4" groups?

You shoot 1/4" groups off hand on a windy day at a moving target?

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Head shots are unethical IMO. Too much room for error. Heart and lungs are great shots. If you want to drop them right there, shoot just above mid shoulder in the scapula. There is a bundle of nerves and blood vessels there that will put them down right there. If you are off you are either going to get heart and lungs, spine, or base of the neck, which are all good places to put a bullet.

As far as the 223. It works just fine at close ranges with a quality bullet. The most important part is knowing your rifle and putting the bullet right where you want it.

stymie001

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess this is why some people say, " if you can hit a paper plate at 100 yds. your sighted in." This is why they take the higher percentage shot.

Just speaking for myself, I shoot alot and I know I can take the head shot anytime. I practice short range, long range, windy days, still days, rainy days, and sunny days and I know where my bullet will go. This is the ethical way to go about it.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think theres anything wrong with head shots. I've taken a few myself. My prefered shot is a spine shot but if you can't take the shot in confidence then don't take it. Just like jumping up a deer while stalking and shooting at it or trying to make a 400yd shot in heart lung area, if you and equipment are capable then do it but if thats beyond your skill level DON'T TAKE THE SHOT.

:gun1:

Latest posts

Top Bottom