Another freakin' snake thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Black snakes are good!!! Copper heads are bad!!! Got to watch a roadrunner kill and eat a copper head!!

My dad fired a couple of hay haulers that killed a BIG black snake in one of his hay barns. He told the guys that there are plenty of people who can haul hay, but that snake was a couple of years old, killed many a mouse, and he didn't want to wait another few years for nature to replace it!!!

Cohiba

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was just a Texas Ratsnake... It is completely harmless to you, and very good at killing Rattlesnakes and rodents like already stated... To be honest you could have most likely just reached out and grabbed it off the door, and it wouldn't have even show aggression...

Your more involved in snakes than I am. I'm calling it a Black Snake, you a Texas Ratsnake. One in the same???
Just asking as I, and the OP live in the northern part of the state.

TKR Reptiles

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Your more involved in snakes than I am. I'm calling it a Black Snake, you a Texas Ratsnake. One in the same???
Just asking as I, and the OP live in the northern part of the state.

A lot of people call em "black snakes" a long with the other rat snakes in Oklahoma... Some call them chicken snakes, among many other names...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of people call em "black snakes" a long with the other rat snakes in Oklahoma... Some call them chicken snakes, among many other names...

I can relate to the chicken snake name, as I have seen one coiled around a chicken egg at my grandparents coop. Assuming it was to break the shell and eat the embryo?

I have one almost 6' long living in the barn. I see his shed skin every year. I have one of them draped over some deer antlers that are mounted in there.

Uncle Meat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found 2 of the same in the garage at our farmhouse this weekend.
Both were over 6'.
Startling at first but when I realized what they were I was glad to see them.
I let them do their thing.
I wish they ate skunks!

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I honestly wouldn't have killed it myself, but I'm not going to chastise another for killing a snake. I would only kill poisonous snakes because of my kiddos.....other than that, they are very beneficial. I'm also fascinated by snakes though.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom