Any good 4Runner Tinkerers out there?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The short of it is a 1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.0 V6 auto 4X4 for $1400 out the door. The good is all glass is there and works, 208,XXX miles, heat and AC work, mostly straight body, no rust, decent interior only $1400. The bad, VERY shady lot and dealer, sales guy caught in a few lies/trying to conceal issues, needs new exhaust, had radiator leak (I have Fixed), alternator relay fuse blown and being bridged by wire (I have replaced), dead batery (I have replaced), then the bad bad that I cant fix is the rear end is HOWLING. When it starts cold the oil pressure gauge is in between 1/4 and 1/2, but when it warms up the gauge drops to 0 and motor starts tapping. and after 10-15 miles the check engine light kicks on and it doesnt want to run or shift hardly at all (I am assuming has to do with the no oil pressure). Is there any one out there that knows what they are doing that turns wrenches on these things as work/hobby that would take some trade or not charge me like crazy to help diagnose/fix the 2 bigger issues? Otherwise does anyone know a shop better/cheaper than Harmons?

I bought the thing with a need for an inexpensive commuter car and it is a beater that I need to have last a year or so. It may one day turn into a wheeler/toy. I have always been partial to Jeeps (I love me an XJ) but have heard that these are superior wheelers. My wife and I are saving for our first house and do not have a lot of finances to put towards a ton of repairs. I knew at the purchase price I would need to put some work and money into it, but I really need to try and keep the cost down as much as possible. Let me know if you can help or know someone. I dont have an issue bringing a 6 pack and turning wrenches to help work on it, but I am far from a mechanic.

Edit: other pertanant information I found that it has been sitting for the last 2.5 years from last owner trade in to current it has accumilated less than 200 miles. so time for some fluid flushes also.

Last edited:

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
20160203_145112.jpg

20160203_145120.jpg

20160203_145128.jpg

20160203_145146.jpg

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are known for blowing head gaskets. so any known coolant leak is concerning. For the oil pressure, I would add a cup of diesel to the oil, let it idle for a minute and then drain it and refill with 10w30. If that doesn't help, you will need a new oil pump(Labor$$$). Add oil to the rear end if it needs it. A used one is $200 or so. I recommend getting rid of it, it will become a never ending money pit.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are known for blowing head gaskets. so any known coolant leak is concerning. For the oil pressure, I would add a cup of diesel to the oil, let it idle for a minute and then drain it and refill with 10w30. If that doesn't help, you will need a new oil pump(Labor$$$). Add oil to the rear end if it needs it. A used one is $200 or so. I recommend getting rid of it, it will become a never ending money pit.

He's right. It's one of the less desirable Toyotas because that motor blows head gaskets. Better to sell it and take a little bit of a loss and get a 4cyl Toyota or one of the 3.4l v6s. Either of those last forever.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
oil pressure could be a bad sender or gauge. get a manual gauge and a short hose and check. get someone who has a code reader to check the codes the check engine light is sending,i would bet it is from the exhaust. get some Mass air flow sensor cleaner at parts store and clean the MAS. check back with your results.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Youngest son had a '95 for several years. It was used and abused when we bought it, and took a lot of abuse while he had it. Motor always had a tick to it, common from what we researched. Tranny had issues, rear end had issues, lots of other problems.

As others have stated, I would think twice about buying it, unless you already have...

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
oil pressure could be a bad sender or gauge. get a manual gauge and a short hose and check. get someone who has a code reader to check the codes the check engine light is sending,i would bet it is from the exhaust. get some Mass air flow sensor cleaner at parts store and clean the MAS. check back with your results.
When the gauge drops and the engine makes noise in relationship to that, the sender is working correctly. Bad mass air flow sensor causes hesitation and stalling. 95 is obd-1 so code reader will need adapter and likely won't give anything helpful. Focus on the mechanical problems first.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While there was/is a little white smoke from the exhaust on start up it quickly goes away. I figured probably from sitting for so long, the exhaust rattles and has a bolt through the cat trying i assume to hold it together it didnt smell sickly sweet. I did do some basic checks for head gasget. The coolant leak was quickly traced down to a split radiator hose that I trimmed back. And there is no milky froth on the dip stick, and no grime on the radiator cap. Are they full proof ways to detect a headgasket issue? Maybe not but I did check for it. I will check into the MAF. I read not to disassemble it to clean as tiny pins and soder are easily broken and will render it useless. Any tips for testing/cleaning?

Latest posts

Top Bottom