87 Ford F250 XLT 7.5L - Starting issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ignition switch sends 12v to the relay. Relay connects those posts on the solenoid. If you jumped the relay and the starter still didn't turn it would have to be the battery, starter or a grounding issue. Correct? If it's not cranking no need to worry about fuel yet.

0bserver

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The ignition switch sends 12v to the relay. Relay connects those posts on the solenoid. If you jumped the relay and the starter still didn't turn it would have to be the battery, starter or a grounding issue. Correct? If it's not cranking no need to worry about fuel yet.
I connected everything back up and had no power. Pulled the battery to verify charge and it was at 60%. I'll be changing out fuses next and verifying that grounding is happening, but yes, not worried about the fuel issue yet just thinking out loud with regard to the issue this had when it would start that my Grandpa fought with for some time.

One other question - I see that Motorcraft doesn't make the 4 post starter relay anymore. I ordered what I thought was it but it is a 3 post - 2 large and 1 small instead of the current 2 large and 2 small. Are they interchangeable? I know I may not need to change this out but knowing this will let me know if I need to return the 3 post or just hold onto it.

Much appreciated!

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I connected everything back up and had no power. Pulled the battery to verify charge and it was at 60%. I'll be changing out fuses next and verifying that grounding is happening, but yes, not worried about the fuel issue yet just thinking out loud with regard to the issue this had when it would start that my Grandpa fought with for some time.

One other question - I see that Motorcraft doesn't make the 4 post starter relay anymore. I ordered what I thought was it but it is a 3 post - 2 large and 1 small instead of the current 2 large and 2 small. Are they interchangeable? I know I may not need to change this out but knowing this will let me know if I need to return the 3 post or just hold onto it.

Much appreciated!
Why are you trying to replace the solenoid if you jumped it and the starter still didn't turn? There should be a hard line from the battery to solenoid, then to the starter. If you jump the posts the starter should crank. It will even crank in gear. I'm guessing you have a bad starter if it doesn't do anything when you jump the solenoid. I had the same issue.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Why are you trying to replace the solenoid if you jumped it and the starter still didn't turn? There should be a hard line from the battery to solenoid, then to the starter. If you jump the posts the starter should crank. It will even crank in gear. I'm guessing you have a bad starter if it doesn't do anything when you jump the solenoid. I had the same issue.
This is a good place to check. The hard line is a single green wire with a black stripe. Make sure it’s in good condition

0bserver

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That was a misunderstanding on my part. Just wondering if it's worth holding onto or not.

I'm thinking there's a ground issue since there was no power after hooking the battery up.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pull the Starter and have it tested. A pair of jumper cables and straight to the starter is an option too.
Make sure it’s not in gear when doing that.
Not making sure that was the case when trying to be a Good Samaritan once cost me 175 stitches in my leg.

0bserver

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Make sure it’s not in gear when doing that.
Not making sure that was the case when trying to be a Good Samaritan once cost me 175 stitches in my leg.

Yeah, I came across a few instances of that. I'm going to see about getting the truck hauled to my place so I don't have to work in the grass and get further along without too much of a time sink.

Latest posts

Top Bottom