Any home brewers here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prophet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just spent 1.5 hours to bring 30 quarts of water to a rolling boil on stove top to condition my turkey frier pan for an all grain batch. Glad I have a propane burner that will do that much faster for brewing.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I could go on for hours about home brew but i will tell you this much if you put your stuff in the bath tub and fill it with water and ice and put a ghetto whirlpool making machine in there to keep the water circulating around your equipment it WILL NOT make Bud Ice.......

Your talking about college brew their buddy!
50 gallons of water, three packs of bread yeast, some blue ribbon malt, 20 lbs of sugar, electric heater blowing on it for warmth, and your in for an Animal House style party!!

GOD, I miss those days.......well not really but ya know what I mean.......

prophet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
50 gallons of water, three packs of bread yeast, some blue ribbon malt, 20 lbs of sugar, electric heater blowing on it for warmth, and your in for an Animal House style party!!

The only time beer should go in a bath tub is when it is in bottles or cans and the bathtub is a whirlpool model filled with ice at your old rent house, talk about a good time.

prophet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Turkey fryers work reall well for that. Are you kegging your beer or bottling? My dad made home brew when I was a kid. We bottled it in coke bottles. Beer bottles couldn't handle the pressure and would burst in the summer.
I keg my beers now because its way easier and faster, i can bottle off of the keg though. I reccomend kegging to anyone who can afford to take the plunge (~500+ if you have nothing)

Skiluvr03

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I keg my beers now because its way easier and faster, i can bottle off of the keg though. I reccomend kegging to anyone who can afford to take the plunge (~500+ if you have nothing)
Propane turkey fryer is the first hard lesson I learned. A lot of guys were finding Cornelius kegs really cheap for kegging as they are quitting the use of them for fountain sodas. I have yet to get mine and need too. Remember, the biggest and most important thing in homebrewing, is sterilization. You don't want to be raising germs and ruining the taste of your brew. That's why bottles are a pain in the ass. I spend too much time cleaning and sterilizing them.

prophet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Propane turkey fryer is the first hard lesson I learned. A lot of guys were finding Cornelius kegs really cheap for kegging as they are quitting the use of them for fountain sodas. I have yet to get mine and need too. Remember, the biggest and most important thing in homebrewing, is sterilization. You don't want to be raising germs and ruining the taste of your brew. That's why bottles are a pain in the ass. I spend too much time cleaning and sterilizing them.

Yea it is. I am very specific on my sterilization procedure and haven't had a bad batch yet. It's a lot easier to clean and sterilize one keg vs 50+ bottles and cap them. Doing an all grain blonde ale right now that should be good to go in 2-3 weeks.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Remember, the biggest and most important thing in homebrewing, is sterilization. You don't want to be raising germs and ruining the taste of your brew. That's why bottles are a pain in the ass. I spend too much time cleaning and sterilizing them.

I ferment wine, and agree that the taste can get off if they aren't sterile. I have grandma's big old pressure cooker. I can stand the wine bottles up in them and boil to steralize.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

HA! I help grandpa make wine time to time and taught all my college buddies in the dorms how to make wine out of welches juice. We could buy everything we needed on our meal plan card but the yeast. They made 1/2 gallons at a time each. Best part was the dorm inspection people had NO IDEA what it was since it was dry campus getting caught with beer was bad deal.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In home brewing you'll want to sanitize it as best you can, but you probably won't be able to steralize it. You won't kill every microbe, but you want to minimize them enough that youd healthy yeast can take over.

Latest posts

Top Bottom