Any knife makers here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Harrison

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm pretty new to knife making but I am enjoying it so far. I just finished a small fixed blade for my father-in-law. The knives I've completed so far have been patterned after the traditional Schrade Skinner, but I think the next one will be a bit more modern design and it will be for my daughter. I've got a pattern in mind, but I was wondering about favorite patterns of others. Does anyone have a design they'd like to share? I'd love to see them.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a Scagle fan. I like some other knife styles, but that's my favorite. Since you can't get one without mortgaging off all you own, I buy Randall's instead, but I kinda like the Behrings too.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you removing stock or forging? For your daughter, I would suggest some sort of material in a color she likes. Design a sheath that is therapeutic in its ability to contain and release the knife.

I have boxes of knife making materials. I have several Scandi blanks. Quality stuff. Let me know if you’re interested. I can deliver as far south as Bass Pro off of I40. No money. Just like to see knife materials made into knives.

Chris Harrison

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you removing stock or forging? For your daughter, I would suggest some sort of material in a color she likes. Design a sheath that is therapeutic in its ability to contain and release the knife.

I have boxes of knife making materials. I have several Scandi blanks. Quality stuff. Let me know if you’re interested. I can deliver as far south as Bass Pro off of I40. No money. Just like to see knife materials made into knives.
That's a very generous offer! I'd love to take you up on it.
At this time, I'm removing stock. I think I'd like to try forging but it may have to wait until I retire and have the time. So, my daughters may be a bit different. They grew up on a ranch, a large working cow/calf operation that my inlaws ran. My older enjoyed hunting with and she shot action pistol with me for 5 years. Both daughters did 4 position small bore and both were martial artists and tournament fighters. Neither of them nor my wife care anything about bling on a weapon. Not that they don't consider a knife as a tool first and a weapon if needed. They have a set of skills that is unusual for young ladies, from driving skid loaders to driving a Freightliner Sport Chasis while pulling a 3 horse slant with a 19 ft living quarters and a slide out. While they are certainly "ladies" they are no-nonsense for the most part and my oldest has been up to her elbows in blood when hunting many a time. Practical and efficient are the order of the day.
Now the oldest is a nurse, and working to be a nurse practitioner and the younger one has her BA and is working on MS to be a counselor. I'm very proud of them both.
When I asked my oldest what she wanted in a knife, she said, "Well for my first one....." I had to laugh at her. She has been using after my AR in 6.5 Grendel, a precision rifle for years. I'm in the process of getting parts together to build myself a new one and I'll let her have the first one I made. When she and her family were here for Christmas I took her and her husband out to the range and she grabbed the Grendel after warming up at 100 years move to the 10" gong at 550 yards and was ringing the steel every shot.
Ok that was way too much info! I have to run down to Bowie TX this weekend but I'd appreciate the chance to meet up with you if you have stock to yo want to let go of.

Chris Harrison

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

If the offer of the material is still good, I can meet you th is weekend. It's about a 3 hour drive so hopefully not too early in the morning. Just let me know, please.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the offer of the material is still good, I can meet you th is weekend. It's about a 3 hour drive so hopefully not too early in the morning. Just let me know, please.
Oh man. Let me check and see what all I have. Make sure it’s worth the drive. Haven’t looked at the stuff in awhile.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds good, but no worries if it's not much. I could make a run over to Bass Pro as I have a lot of bucks saved on my Cabela's card, LoL!
It’s not a lot but there’s some good stuff.

2 Scandi blanks (Helle Brand)
Old hickory to practice on
Liner and spacer material
Polishing compound
2 blocks of quality wood handle material
RR spike for forging
Two Deer antlers sized for handles

Send me a PM and let me know when you’ll be in the city.

Latest posts

Top Bottom