Any Pilots?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So ... were is a good "hang out" airport around here? Up at Guthrie I never see a T hanger open nor any BS;ers hanging around the FBO

I came up spoiled...learned to fly at Lantana Airpark, Lantana Fl. Florida Airmotive always had a regular crew of private owners and pilots hanging around, drinking coffee and telling lies. A lot of retired folks... and quite a few students and aspiring professional pilots to hang out with

Lantana was the home to the guy who wrote the "Smiling Jack" comics back in the 40's..he had a little office up in the old main hanger (sadly torn down for expansion in the early 80's). We had a fleet of Beech 18's and DC3 hauling freight to the Islands... lot's of experimental guys building planes in T hangers... some heavy military surplus (Chipmunks to T28's and a P 51 was there for a while) a couple of Stearmans.
I learned to fly tail draggers on that feild and basic areobatics (Taylor Craft BD12 and Citabria)

I miss it. Only place I've every lived where you stopped for a Coke... and ended up right seat in a Bonaza for a few touch and goes... very sharing group of guys. I even picked up a few hours in a Cessna 140 owned by a fine gent who was a retired AP at Pratt Whitney

RobC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pilatus 7SE? :)

Someone get pics of that Continental 737 at SWO...that's gotta be a cool sight. When you get Gulfstreams into KOUN, they dwarf everything else on the tarmac. Can't imagine a 737 at some place like SWO. Unfortunately, we have Will Rogers right up the road so we don't get many of the big charters in here like SWO.

http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KSWO

Guilty.

The 737s at SWO are kinda commonplace. Heck, the 757s are routine. We've had a few 767s in, and that is amusing to see.

Rob

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think Corporate would be more fun than Airlines...you get to fly into the smaller airports and not see the same hubs over and over again.

Years ago when I considered going pro an airline job was a dream job, the money was there and everybody needs money. Too many flying jobs are for the glory of aviation something that eventually gets old.
The real jobs are always left seat. A friend flies right seat in a RJ to get the time, the pay is not worth the time, money and skill it took to get there.
I'd say be realistic with your expectations, have a plan, figure how long it will take you to get the education, licenses, ratings and hours for what you want vs your age.

aa5b

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good to see there other pilots on this board! I learned to fly in Enid about ten years ago and am now a regional FO based in MEM. I hate being gone so much but still get a smile walking out the plane.

aa5b

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago when I considered going pro an airline job was a dream job, the money was there and everybody needs money. Too many flying jobs are for the glory of aviation something that eventually gets old.
The real jobs are always left seat. A friend flies right seat in a RJ to get the time, the pay is not worth the time, money and skill it took to get there.
I'd say be realistic with your expectations, have a plan, figure how long it will take you to get the education, licenses, ratings and hours for what you want vs your age.

That is all very true, sometimes it takes awhile to see any career progression but with any job you pay your dues. Sometimes it is just longer than you would have liked. An airline career does not have the glamor that it once had so it is very important to get all the information up front. I enjoy it but it is certainly not for everyone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom