Anybody have whole house generator installation experience?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Electrician Mike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can come look at it, but I am very covered up and busy the next week or so. Feel free to PM me or give me a call. I have installed about 40 stand by generators in the past 5 years now.
Mike
(918) 693-4361

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a Generac 20KW.

Thanks for the information. That is the kind of stuff I was looking for. Can you tell me what model and make of gas meter you have and what your regulated pressure is set to by the gas company? I called ong and they told me mine was set at 1 psi.

My meter is capable of 250 cfph at .5" WC drop and 375 cfh at 1" drop and 540 cfh at 2" drop. Under max load the generator needs 281 cfh of natural gas with 5-11 in. H2O.

At this point I am wanting to know if my current meter can handle the generator or if I need ong to come out and set a higher volume meter.

These are my other gas appliances:
Two gas heaters
Gas fireplace
Gas dryer
Gas 50 gal water heater
Gas BBQ grill

Thanks for the help everyone!

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Based on information I found online, these are the btu requirements:
2 heaters - 200,000
Fireplace - 80,000
Grill - 75,000
Dryer - 35,000
Water heater - 50,000
Generator - 281,000
This sums to 721,000, however I highly doubt all these appliances will be running all the time.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. That is the kind of stuff I was looking for. Can you tell me what model and make of gas meter you have and what your regulated pressure is set to by the gas company? I called ong and they told me mine was set at 1 psi.

My meter is capable of 250 cfph at .5" WC drop and 375 cfh at 1" drop and 540 cfh at 2" drop. Under max load the generator needs 281 cfh of natural gas with 5-11 in. H2O.

At this point I am wanting to know if my current meter can handle the generator or if I need ong to come out and set a higher volume meter.

These are my other gas appliances:
Two gas heaters
Gas fireplace
Gas dryer
Gas 50 gal water heater
Gas BBQ grill

Thanks for the help everyone!

Afraid I can't help you with the meter / regulator pressure info you requested.. the plumbers took care of all that for me. 1 PSI sounds a little low. Seems like mine is some what higher. Earlier this year, the gas company was changing out old meters and when the worker saw that I have a 20 KW generator, he installed me a brand new meter with a regulator allowing more pressure... saying he thought it would be better to be safe than sorry. Better to send more than enough gas to the generator's regulator than just enough to run it under normal circumstances. He pointed out that during a heavy use period on their system that the pressure on the main line could drop too at times.

In figuring your pressure needs.. figure for a worst case / heavy consumption senario on your provider's system, not just at your house... leave yourself some pad. You don't want to be low in pressure when you need it the most... like during zero temps & heavy icing for several weeks.

That 7 days we were without power, we had problems with water lines located inside our outside facing walls freezing. Even with the blue flame heaters going 24 / 7 it was hard to keep the entire house warm enough to radiate heat into the walls and protect those pipes. No problem with the generator going and the central heat on.

I've got the following gas fueled items...

Gas dryer
Gas Central Heat
50 gal hot water heater
fire place insert / with a large blue flame heater connection for extra heat in extreme cold weather.
2 smaller blue flame heaters in a bed room & in the sun room
20 KW generator.

I was gonna change out my electric stove for a gas insert.. but I don't have to now that I've got the generator. It easily powers a 1,800+ sq ft house, 3 out buildings and a number of large outdoor security lights.

This is what parts of my town looked like after the last big ice storm where we were without power for 7 days.

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j474/David2U2011/AltusOKcitystreet-2010.jpg

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j474/David2U2011/DentonTxElectricLinemen-AltusOK2010.jpg

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
David2012, can you look/see the meter? There should be a tag on the front showing the name of manufacturer and the model number. That would help me a bunch.

Latest posts

Top Bottom