Anybody hunt anymore?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glockisgood17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do, whenever I feel up to it. Growing up and learning how to hunt around Tahlequah was a whole different story in the 60’s/70’s! The deer population was nothing at all like it is today. It was mostly small game, quail, rabbit etc. Family owned several cattle ranches, we had lots of Corps land and Camp Gruber to hunt on, but the deer population was slim back then.

No feeders, or trail cameras, heated shoot houses or any of the comforts of now. Its was mostly still hunting, with an occasional sit on game trails or a water source. A salt block might be placed by that was about it.

Now due to age, disability etc it’s just hard to do anymore but I will if I can. This 8 pt wasn’t by far the biggest I have ever taken, but it was a kill while still hunting with a relic of a Marlin lever rifle with open sights in .444 caliber. I have lost track of the number of deer that has been taken with that rifle. It was good to just grab it and take off into the woods like days past and remember what it was like.

Good luck to anyone trying for fresh venison, the tenderloins were had for dinner the same night it was killed last week. Just some garlic and butter with fried taters and some greens…

Regards,

Attachments

• IMG_2090.jpeg
    IMG_2090.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3582.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do, whenever I feel up to it. Growing up and learning how to hunt around Tahlequah was a whole different story in the 70’s/80’s. The deer population was nothing at all like it is today. It was mostly small game, quail, rabbit etc. Family owned several cattle ranches, we had lots of Corps land and Camp Gruber to hunt on, but the deer population was slim back then.

No feeders, or trail cameras, heated shoot houses or any of the comforts of now. Its was mostly still hunting, with an occasional sit on game trails or a water source. A salt block might be placed by that was about it.

Now due to age, disability etc it’s just hard to do anymore but I will if I can. This 8 pt wasn’t by far the biggest I have ever taken, but it was a kill while still hunting with a relic of a Marlin lever rifle with open sights in .444 caliber. I have lost track of the number of deer that has been taken with that rifle. It was good to just grab it and take off into the woods like days past and remember what it was like.

Good luck to anyone trying for fresh venison, the tenderloins were had for dinner the same night it was killed last week. Just some garlic and butter with fried taters and some greens…

Regards,
Congrats on your successful hunt. I love an aperture rear sight mounted back close to the shooters eye. Sign of an experienced rifleman, in my opinion.

Glockisgood17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats on your successful hunt. I love an aperture rear sight mounted back close to the shooters eye. Sign of an experienced rifleman, in my opinion.
I have hunted with about every platform available. Bolt, pump, semi-auto, and lever. Lever is what I learned on. An ancient, battered Winchester without a bit of blueing on the metal, or finish on the stock lent from an uncle at the time. That particular Marlin was inherited from an older brother that left this earth way too early in his 50’s. I have acquired several other lever actions over the year but this is my absolute favorite.

It just feels better to hunt with a lever gun, the fit and balance is just there. And that aperture, set as far back as you can get it! Nothing is faster imho.

Blessed Thanksgiving,
Regards,

Attachments

• IMG_2080.jpeg
    7.4 MB · Views: 0

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Due to age and life’s challenges, right hip replaced in ‘22 and left hip replaced 3 times in ‘23…… new hip … infection, take it out put in spacer….. infection cleared take out spacer put new hip back in. I don’t walk very well anymore- I just stumble around. Still love to hunt so I’m pretty much restricted to sitting in a blind verses sitting in the recliner at home I still try to still hunt sometimes but mostly sit and watch. I have two feeders but have never shot anything standing around them, it’s either coming to or leaving them.

Glockisgood17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Due to age and life’s challenges, right hip replaced in ‘22 and left hip replaced 3 times in ‘23…… new hip … infection, take it out put in spacer….. infection cleared take out spacer put new hip back in. I don’t walk very well anymore- I just stumble around. Still love to hunt so I’m pretty much restricted to sitting in a blind verses sitting in the recliner at home I still try to still hunt sometimes but mostly sit and watch. I have two feeders but have never shot anything standing around them, it’s either coming to or leaving them.
Brother I feel your pain. Bilateral shoulder replacement and right knee total replacement. But I do what I can when ever I can. Most of my hunting is stationary, but when I feel up to it I will still hunt!

Everything about it is better! Going slow, minding the wind and just observing is what it’s all about. And if I need to find a stump to sit on I sit.

We have a 2 story, heated and insulated shoot house. Camp stove, luggable loo and such. Most of the time is spent in there, but when I’m up to it I’m out and moving around.

Good luck and get a bigun!
Regards,

Attachments

• IMG_0294.jpeg
    IMG_0294.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm still hunting, Walmart, Crest. whatever, nicely marbled ribeyes, and fillets for the queen. Sometimes it's a rugged hunt, getting up by 10 AM, tying the nikes good and tight, slipping into that white t-shirt, it's a mind game. Every now and then some good looking thing comes by pushing her cart, trying to distract you, but you have to stay focused, you're trying to feed the family. If any of you need good hunting advice, don't hesitate to contact me.

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm still hunting, Walmart, Crest. whatever, nicely marbled ribeyes, and fillets for the queen. Sometimes it's a rugged hunt, getting up by 10 AM, tying the nikes good and tight, slipping into that white t-shirt, it's a mind game. Every now and then some good looking thing comes by pushing her cart, trying to distract you, but you have to stay focused, you're trying to feed the family. If any of you need good hunting advice, don't hesitate to contact me.
Do you gut them in the frozen food aisle or take them outside?

Latest posts

Top Bottom