Anybody use the VA for knee replacement?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammerdown51

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went to the VA today after waiting 3 months to see the Ortho doc (couldn't hardly understand the guy from India I think). I've had bone on bone for several years with knee pain since the mid-seventies. VA put me on a "waiting list" and it'll be sometime in 2013 unless they have a last minute cancellation and nobody else on the waiting list takes the spot.

Anyway they said they use 3 different manufacturers: Stryker, Smith and Nephew, and Dupuy. I've heard of Stryker and that's who my private doc (Ronal Hale) uses.

Has anyone had a knee replacement or know of anybody who has had one done at the VA? Were they happy/not happy with the results?

Thanks for any input.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of my uncles had one done at the VA several years ago. It went well and held up for a few years until he drugged himself to death...but that's a different story.

My MIL had both knees done at the Air Force hospital down at Eglin AFB....both surgeries went great and she has regained a lot of mobility. I think her's were Stryker...

(I'm a beneficiary of 22 years active duty exposure, and 4 years retired exposure, to the military medical system, with few complaints)

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother had one done through the VA, but I'm not sure if it was actually done in a VA hospital. It may have been bid out, and a private doctor did the surgery. Anyway, that all happened in Alabama, so my answer probably doesn't help much.

Latest posts

Top Bottom